Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Audio question

I'm joining the bandwagon in trying to get a bit more tunes at 70~75MPH, I've got the HogTunes tweeter pod and a pair of Infinity Kappa 2-way speakers.
The stock HK headunit is rated at 20 watts per channel and the HogTunes amp at 32 watts per channel, would only 12 more watts make a audible difference with the current speakers?
I guess it may with the Hogtune speakers if they are more efficient so I'm debating if to get a Hogtune amp/speaker combo or just adding a Elf amp (can't afford a ARC or Hawg) to run the pod and Infinitys.
What do you audio gurus thinK?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Grunt66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elf amp

I am running the Elf amp on my 07 Road Glide and I wear a full face Arai helmet. My first upgrade was the hogtune 5 1/4 speakers and they were an improvement over the stock speakers. Then I upgraded to the ELF amp and added some Hertz 6.5 speakers I had sitting in the closet and I can hear the music cruising down the highway at 80mph. I purchased the ELF amp off of Ebay for $150.00 and I could not be happier.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
vickon
Road Warrior

That was my original plan to go with the ELF, missed on the $150, now they're up tp $200 shipped.
BTW any issues with the ELF amp installation? Is it straightforward or was the wire hook-ups complicated. Hate to start cutting up the OEM harness but I guess thats the only way to do it.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

I think it was Harley pingman that stated in an earlier post that he called Elf & they said they would still sell for the $150, I think he called about a week ago. In another post someone was talking about a Shark mini amplifier that's on ebay for less than $80, he didn't know about quality, but said it had gotten good reviews from the car guys. It seems like everything that's made for bikes is a lot higher priced than car audio stuff, don't know if it's actually better quality or that there is just less competition.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider having pre-amps installed in the head unit. The cleaner signal will allow you to drive the amps a little harder

Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 AM
TRMRC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I think it was Harley pingman that stated in an earlier post that he called Elf & they said they would still sell for the $150, I think he called about a week ago. In another post someone was talking about a Shark mini amplifier that's on ebay for less than $80, he didn't know about quality, but said it had gotten good reviews from the car guys. It seems like everything that's made for bikes is a lot higher priced than car audio stuff, don't know if it's actually better quality or that there is just less competition.
I got the Shark too..it is not made for inside the fairing..it gets VERY hot, just in my garage. I sent it back - the EBAY folks selling them have great customer service & refunded my money FAST. I then called ELF after doing som research, I would call them, he is GREAT to deal with. I have that now with 6.5 ELF speakers & it is a great setup. easy install. You will not cut anything up. you just have to put some "male" conectors on the wiring plug to plug your speakers into, run a wire to the battery , run a wire from your orange wire in the headlight housing to the "switch" on the amp and a ground wire . ( I used the one at the neck).

Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, I called the number on Elf's website, was told the price was $150 and was given the name and phone number of an ELF retail outlet in Atlanta. called (Joker's Audio) and the owner agreed to match the $150 price I was quoted; normal retail at his store for the amp is 199.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Shark amp. Suggestion: start a thread on the Shark amp to share your experience with it.

Carl

Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
vickon
Road Warrior

Awesome! I almost bit on the Shark ..8]

Last edited by vickon; 03-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a Hawg amp and speakers from Frank at Dragos Bike Works. Was much more afordable than I thought. It will be here in a few days.

Last edited by BuckeyeRider; 03-26-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You should talk to Firecap. I did the arc setup with the amp, 6.5" speakers and rings. I have an 8" clearview shield and adjustable wind deflectors. I can hear the music clearly at 100+ mph. I have to turn it down to 1/3 volume when cruising 70-80 because it is so loud it hurts my ears. The sound quality is very good. Its worth the $350-$400 you might pay. With the tweater pod I'll bet it sounds unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Audio question