Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 AM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

She's alive!!! I finished the install last night.

Preliminary impression:
Decibels are definitively up! Output is clear, no noise or clipping, definition and separation increase noted, good soundstage.
Still have to play with the gains and crossover to fine tune the system.
The Hogtune tweeter pod is very efficient so I will try matching it up with a pair of Hogtune speakers. Potential is there but I would definitively be more than happy as it is. Both radio and CD sources are clean, crisp and power is more than adequate, no heat.
SETUP:
Amp - ELF 2145X
Speakers - Infinity Kappa 52.7i + Hogtunes tweeter pod
COST:
Amp - $150.00
Pod - $132.00
Speakers - $79.95
Install materials - $20.00

So far the results have exceeded my expectations, My goal when I started this project was not to have the loudest system but one which reproduced balanced, crisp, clear , well defined music. So far, so good. Install is not hard at all, basic tooling and as always take your time, "measure twice, cut once" and enjoy the project.

I ordered a set of Hogtune speakers which I believe will balance out nicely with the pod.

Having been a professional musician for 30+ years and in countless "hi-end", "low end" recording settings I have a pretty well defined understanding of acoustics and of what music should sound like.
Then again, this is my humble opinion of my humble system, to some is may sound amazing to some it may sound awful. Trust your own ears and brain, whatever sounds good to you is all that matters, bottom line, not what someone might claim to be the very best out there.
I also believe these amps are all made the same with "maybe" some minor tweeks (label change?) here or there, you make your own decision, it's your $$ ...8]

Attached Thumbnails Audio question-elf-amp-install-03apr2010-10-.jpg   Audio question-elf-amp-install-03apr2010-21-.jpg   Audio question-elf-amp-install-03apr2010-23-.jpg  

Last edited by vickon; 04-08-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
UB-Einstein
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

redundant

Last edited by UB-Einstein; 04-05-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: redundant
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
UB-Einstein
Intermediate
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cybermunster
For those interested in the ELF amp you may want to contact Jeff at Jokers Audio (706) 529-0083, he matched the $150.00 price on the amp and shipped the next day. Good guy to deal with.
Just spoke to Oli over at Jokers Audio, they don't do the $150 price any more (1st said he was out of inventory, then said they were Refurbs (kind of shady)) now they only do the $199 plus free shipping (which BTW you can get anywhere at that price). However if you buy 2 amps from them, then he will give you a 10 percent discount, which will bring them down to $179 each, which 2 Elf's are still cheaper than the J&Ms amp with all the fancy wiring.
I guess once the word gets out something works sellers need to gouge you for it. i am going to look into the Road Rage amps for $50 which someone else posted about and installed with great success.
Work done by UltraNutZ Kudos to him.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-09-ultra.html
http://www.robotronics.com/products-...roduct_id=1969

Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor

Kicker has put their toes in the water on the MC side and do have a direct replacement for the bat wing. It is the PS5250. Here is a link for you.

http://www.kicker.com/PS5250

I have a set in my display batwing breaking them in now. If you have any questions give me a call number is in my sig.

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I wished that Kicker would get in the audio thing in bikes. Man they are the **** as far as I am coincerned. If my Hogtunes (amp, tweeter pod and amp) would sound as good as my I-Kick sound doc does for my Ipod I would be an extremely happycamper.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

Originally Posted by cybermunster
She's alive!!! I finished the install last night.

Preliminary impression:
Decibels are definitively up! Output is clear, no noise or clipping, definition and separation increase noted, good soundstage.
Still have to play with the gains and crossover to fine tune the system.
The Hogtune tweeter pod is very efficient so I will try matching it up with a pair of Hogtune speakers. Potential is there but I would definitively be more than happy as it is. Both radio and CD sources are clean, crisp and power is more than adequate, no heat.
SETUP:
Amp - ELF 2145X
Speakers - Infinity Kappa 52.7i + Hogtunes tweeter pod
COST:
Amp - $150.00
Pod - $132.00
Speakers - $79.95
Install materials - $20.00

So far the results have exceeded my expectations, My goal when I started this project was not to have the loudest system but one which reproduced balanced, crisp, clear , well defined music. So far, so good. Install is not hard at all, basic tooling and as always take your time, "measure twice, cut once" and enjoy the project.

I ordered a set of Hogtune speakers which I believe will balance out nicely with the pod.

Having been a professional musician for 30+ years and in countless "hi-end", "low end" recording settings I have a pretty well defined understanding of acoustics and of what music should sound like.
Then again, this is my humble opinion of my humble system, to some is may sound amazing to some it may sound awful. Trust your own ears and brain, whatever sounds good to you is all that matters, bottom line, not what someone might claim to be the very best out there.
I also believe these amps are all made the same with "maybe" some minor tweeks (label change?) here or there, you make your own decision, it's your $$ ...8]
Hey man looks good. Do you have to pull the tank to install that amp?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On my '08 FLHTC I released the tank's front and raised it enough to route the wires.