Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010 | 06:49 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by DocJ
Hmmm...so, how do you usually gear up in the heat of summer?

Around here, long-sleeves can still be done, but no matter what, you're going to come home drenched during the hottest days. During the summer, I usually go with short sleeved button up shirts. They are a little stiffer than t-shirts so they don't feel like they get tossed around so much, but still keep me cooler.

After a decent ride, it is shower time around here! That is for sure!
Me, usually a long sleeve light colored cotton T-shirt and lots of sunblock.

Old 03-25-2010 | 08:37 PM
ken b
Road Captain

A wet vest also helps. But like others said, IT's Fricken HOT. If you have to ride in the lower elevations in the summer do this, plan only to ride till 10am, Ride at night if you have to ride straight flat runs in the lower elevations.
It's not a dry heat, it's a dehidration heat. You will die in the summer here if you arn't well prepared for it.

Old 03-25-2010 | 08:52 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Cool

Everythimg the others have said are true. Orig from Houston and trust me this heat is different, doable but different. Be prepaired cant stress enough! Hydrate first thing start drinking water you could not imagine how fast lack of H2O can come over you and then it's too late. Cover all the skin keep the sun off gloves a must hard to break and clutch when you can't keep your hands on the levers. People here adjust ther activities in the summer by going out at night and early morning 10 to 4 is inside time!

Russ

Old 03-25-2010 | 08:54 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DocJ
So...hot is HOT. I've never been to Arizona, but even on it's worst days, how bad does it FEEL?

From what I've been told, it really is not bad. Here in Missouri, it gets so humid, that it feels like you are walking through a wall of heat and sweat. Summer feels rather miserable at times. But, then again, I've never been in AZ through the summer-time. I'm hoping to visit this summer, just to see what it is like. Been thinking of moving around there in a couple of years.

Put a large fan in your oven then turn it up to 120* after the oven warms up turn on the fan then stick your head at the entrance to the oven. That is what it will feel like but only the air is hitting your whole body.

Last edited by Teardrop; 03-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2010 | 09:12 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

I grew up in Illinois but moved to Phoenix,lived there for about 10 years. Everyones pretty much on the money although ,living there you do kinda sorta get used to it.But the summers are hell! You're going in the spring and that should be a great time to go. Was only around Bisby a few times,my favorite ride was up to Payson,up in the mountains and pine trees.It was always a little cooler than the valley and the scenery is great.The other great ride was up to Prescott(whiskey row)then up thru the mountain pass to Jerome,then back down to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon....friggin awesome!
rocket

Old 03-25-2010 | 09:21 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Lived in Indiana most my life, now AZ. Hit Bullhead City in the summer.......felt like my skin was being heat stripped off the bone. Plenty, plenty of water! We pack one bag as a cooler every trip in the summer.

But you will love it riding here. BTW if someone didn't mention it bring a long sleeve t-shirt, even sunblock has a hard time keeping the burn away and it actually feels cooler when in the mid-day sun.

Old 03-25-2010 | 09:40 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior

I forgot to mention. Like everyone else said, you can't drink enough water in the summer when out riding. The average size person will sweat 26 oz of body fluids for every hour outside in the summer. We were doing the Payson ride a couple summers ago and we came upon a group of riders at the gas station right when you hit town. We noticed a group of riders from out of state on the side of the building standing around one of the riders that was laying on the ground. To make a long story short, he was so dehydrated that his vital organs were shutting down and he was going into shock. We called an ambulance which took him to the Payson Hospital. They got him stabilized then air lifted him to the trauma center in Scottsdale. Arizona is a great place to live and ride but dont take the heat for granted. Just be prepared and enjoy.

Last edited by Teardrop; 03-25-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2010 | 07:57 AM
whoop72
Tourer

since you're going next week, the weather should be fine--not the searing heat that others have talked about. when you go back, if u can, go up through payson, then over to sedona, oak creek canyon, grand canyon (south rim will be closer and i don't think the north rim is open yet), and then back to lv.

Old 03-26-2010 | 08:36 AM
DocJ
Road Master

Yeah, I know I sorta hi-jacked this thread a little off course, but I appreciate everyone's responses about the summer heat there in AZ. I'm really hoping I get a chance to come down this summer.

However, I do have one more question: Seeing the need to keep hydrated, are camelbacks very popular around there? I use one when I'm cycling quite often. Just curious, as they are very useful, but kinda dorkish looking. lol. On a bicycle, though, it works very well. I'd probably still plan on bringing it with me, if I do make it to AZ this summer. We'll see...

Thanks again for the tips, and sharing some AZ news with me!

Old 03-26-2010 | 09:49 AM
Bogart
Novice

Coming from Duncan you could swing by Safford and ride up Mt Graham nice mountain ride to about 9,300 ft and cool. Don't miss the Chiricahua Nat'l Monument another Mtn ride and spectacular rock formations. Tombstone only 30 miles from Bisbee. Next week won't be hot Bisbee is at 5,000 ft and may have temps from upper 30's into 70's. Have breakfast at the Bisbee Breakfast Club. A nice day ride from there is to Parker Canyon Lake road is paved but a little rough in spots. Watch for cattle Arizona is "free range". Hope you have a great trip and any questions just ask. I am only 35 mi from Bisbee.

Quick Reply: Arizona ride