Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Monster Ovals slip-ons FLHPI '07

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Didah
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about Monster Ovals slip-ons FLHPI '07

I've had my 2007 FLHPI just over a year with stock pipes and am thinking about putting on the VH Monster Oval slip-ons. If you've put them on, I'd like to know if you're happy with them, would you suggest doing the True Dual header pipes, and if the "FuelPak" is the way to go. I don't want super loud and am hoping to maintain decent gas mileage, although sound and performance are higher priority. I'm just an occasional rider, have yet to go on any long rides, and have little experience with motorcycle repairs. The instructions for installing the above VH equipment look like something I could handle, but before I invest the $$, I would like to hear from someone who's done it, or something similar.

Thanks...

Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
lock55
Cruiser

I have them with duels. I like them a lot, I love the sound they put out. I did the package from Fuelmoto. Installation wasn't too bad, took me a day of messing around. Jamie can fix you up with whatever you are looking for.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Monster Ovals for more than a year now and still love them. The sound is D-E-E-P, hits you in the chest!!! I would like it to be a bit louder in the saddle and will add True Duals at some point, but it is a nice volume for touring and long day rides. The sound is louder to bystanders than it is from the saddle. Some on the forum have found them to be too loud while others have said they aren't loud enough. Best bet is to hear them in person if at all possible. I installed the xIEDs from Nightrider.com and am happy with the performance, although a programmer isn't necessary for just slip-ons or duals. As for install it is straight forward as far as the slip-ons are concerned. If you go with duals make sure to get new exhaust gaskets from the dealer, it will save you having to replace them when the stock gaskets don't seal with the new head pipes. Just take your time and penetrating lubricant is your friend for removing the stock slip-ons. Most importantly, clean the fingerprints and whatnot off the pipes before firing it up. Also they will smoke a lot the first time you run them. Start the bike outside and down wind of the house. The smoke is normal and caused by the machining oil inside these huge Monsters. It will burn off in a couple of minutes but is rather startling if you aren't ready for it.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer

I love my Monster Oval slip-ons. Be sure to use a straight edge to get them level before you clamp them down. Unlike round mufflers, it's easy to get these crooked. Be sure to get them even forward/aft too.

They have a deep rich sound that isn't too loud, but they seem to have gotten a little louder with the Andrews 21 cams I just put in.

JR

Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 PM
izzy
Cruiser

I have the V&H dresser duals and monster ovals on my 2008 FLHR and love the sound. I call it rich and thick and chocolatty, if you can wrap your mind around that. I got the PC V from Jamie, Fuel Moto is the only place i know that you can get the PC V retrofitted for pre-2009 bikes. The pipes take some patience but not that bad and the PC is simple enough. A tip for 2008 owners: If you have ABS you will need to trim the edge of the ECM tray. Do a search and you'll find some with pictures in the forum. Also, most importantly for everyone, remove your old exhaust gaskets when doing the duals and use only the screaming eagle gaskets. They are the flat ones not the tapered. If you use the OEM tapered gaskets you will install your head pipes twice. Don't ask me how i know.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had them on an 08 with True Duals them put them on my 09 with stock headers.
The True Dual header pipes solved all my heat issues on the right side with the 08.

The sound is awesome (deep) idleling or going down the road and they are not loud.....and I didn't want loud.

You can just put them on with no fuel pak if you want. The hardest part will be getting your old mufflers off. Spay some WD-40 in the pipes to slide the new ones on the bike.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Didah
1st Gear

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I did get to hear the Monster Ovals last bike rally here in NW Arkansas last year when the V&H van was there with the various pipes. That's when I heard the MO's and loved the sound. May just start with the ovals this year and do the rest later on.
Appreciate all the comments. And nice pics too!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Didah
1st Gear

Originally Posted by izzy
I have the V&H dresser duals and monster ovals on my 2008 FLHR and love the sound. I call it rich and thick and chocolatty, if you can wrap your mind around that. I got the PC V from Jamie, Fuel Moto is the only place i know that you can get the PC V retrofitted for pre-2009 bikes. The pipes take some patience but not that bad and the PC is simple enough. A tip for 2008 owners: If you have ABS you will need to trim the edge of the ECM tray. Do a search and you'll find some with pictures in the forum. Also, most importantly for everyone, remove your old exhaust gaskets when doing the duals and use only the screaming eagle gaskets. They are the flat ones not the tapered. If you use the OEM tapered gaskets you will install your head pipes twice. Don't ask me how i know.
Thanks for the tip on Fuel Moto's PC V...will look into it.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM
road-king
Novice

Glad to hear ya'll like them! I bought the dresser duals with monster ovals sight un-heard... I've had good exerience with V&H in the past and thought these would look/sound/perform good on my new RoadGlide. I'll try and remember to post back my review if I ever get the bike out of the shop (waiting on Screamin' Eagle parts for Stage II 103 and Compensator)

Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a set of monster ovals a couple of months ago............
Right before the snow hit!

They sounded almost too quiet while I sat in the garage in sub zero temps.

I've always had somewhat loud pipes for years when I only took day trips and it didn't bother me or the wife.Even running a bigger cam(which made it noticeably louder) wasn't an issue.

Last year the wife and I went on an 8 day,3000 mile trip and we both agreed that 12 hours of LOUD for 8 days wasn't as much fun.

Today It FINALLY warmed up and I put a couple hundred miles on the MO's.

I like them A LOT!!!
It still sounds powerfull,it just lacks the "cackle" that nearly drove us nuts pulling a grade in the mountains for days on end.

Throttle response and power seems to be about the same.

We're taking a 2 week,4000 mile trip in August.......I think we will both be happy with a little less noise!

In comparison,the sound went from a flat head with glass packs to a big block with turbo mufflers. I'm sure I'll miss the super loud cackle at times but I think this is going to be MUCH better in the long run!

Quick Reply: Thinking about Monster Ovals slip-ons FLHPI '07