Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Se race tuner vs pc-v ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackieGrier007
Just went through this same process....As for price there are BRAND NEW SE Tuners on E-bay for $ 280.00 BIN. About the same price as for the PC-V. All you need for the SE Tuner is lap top & cables and it will work !...The SE tuner allows you to download time (Auto Tune) and make more adjustments than the PC-V as it is mated to the ECM of your bike for life. The PC-V is plug and play as soon as it arrives if purchased from Fuel Moto, they will download a "canned" map as to your specs!...Its really up to you....(PS) The SE software is really easy once you get use to it and tuning is as simple as point and click! I hope this helps.
So you are saying that the tuning can be done via a laptop without any dyno runs? Have you done this and how did the bike turn out?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ga4boats
So you are saying that the tuning can be done via a laptop without any dyno runs? Have you done this and how did the bike turn out?

Good question,

I thought the original SERT had only the Serial connection to a computer, where the newer SERT had USB connections, correct?

I am also thinking I can get the USB cable form TTS and connect to a laptop with the original SERT, correct?

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 03-25-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JackieGrier007
Just went through this same process....As for price there are BRAND NEW SE Tuners on E-bay for $ 280.00 BIN. About the same price as for the PC-V. All you need for the SE Tuner is lap top & cables and it will work !...The SE tuner allows you to download time (Auto Tune) and make more adjustments than the PC-V as it is mated to the ECM of your bike for life. The PC-V is plug and play as soon as it arrives if purchased from Fuel Moto, they will download a "canned" map as to your specs!...Its really up to you....(PS) The SE software is really easy once you get use to it and tuning is as simple as point and click! I hope this helps.
SEST does have adjustment areas the PCV doesn't have, but the same goes in reverse, so it depends on what your priorities are. In both cases the fine tuning will be outside the interest of most riders, except possibly the map-switch feature, which only the PCV has.

Tuning with SEST isn't as simple as powering-up your computer and clicking with a mouse. Closed-loop operation is only operable at about 0-50% throttle position, and since feedback is only available in that range you have no means of tuning above it that doesn't involve either a dyno or guesswork. This limitation exists because of the stock narrow-band O2 sensors and you can't force it beyond those limits. The only way to get a truly accurate tune with SEST is to hire a competent dyno-tune tech, or find a correct map for the hardware you have installed, which are few and far between. The same goes for the basic PCV, except the map database for these is many times bigger than SEST. Auto-tune largely eliminates the need for a dyno-tune now or in the future, except you'll need a good starting point for ignition timing, as this facet of tuning does not auto-tune.

The only tuners that feature true AFR auto-tuning throughout the RPM and TP range is the PCV Auto-Tune and Thundermax. These tuners use wide-band O2 sensors.

Last edited by iclick; 03-25-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what my tuner said is in his years of tuning is when the computer marries the bike and it breaks down you have to go back to HD to fix it, at @ 75 dollars plus an hour and 500 plus to dyno is just sick to me. If you install a PC-V you have the option that if the bike breaks you can reconnect the stock ECM and get home. His brother and a friend of mine bought an 09 Ultra that came with the race tuner from HD and still installed the PC-V. He told me of a story were that had happened to him with race tuner on his RK and decided to go with PC-3 and same thing happened but this time he didn't have to pay a tow bill and the PC-3 was replaced free of charge. Makes perfect sense to me but in the end its your ride.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phat09flhx
From what my tuner said is in his years of tuning is when the computer marries the bike and it breaks down you have to go back to HD to fix it, at @ 75 dollars plus an hour and 500 plus to dyno is just sick to me.

In all of my time spent on this Forum I have never heard of such an occurrence,

Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
jdaws
Advanced

How much money do you want to spend? The TTS is the best tuner money can buy, but it takes a lap-top and a dyno to get the most out of it.
I run a gen.3 TFI. Plug and play, no dyno and adjusted myself. I don't have a lot of cash flow.
Why are you talking gear drive cams? There's nothing wrong with the roller chain drive cams. Unless you like the gear noise and spending money.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
pennstater
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about thunder max???????????????

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
jdaws
Advanced

All the tuners and fuel programers out there work.
You need to consider cost, ease of installation, ease and time of adjusting, do I need a lap-top, do I need dyno time, will I have to have a tech do it, how long will it take before I can ride again?
Make sure you know all the facts!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
gizz46
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iclick
SEST does have adjustment areas the PCV doesn't have, but the same goes in reverse, so it depends on what your priorities are. In both cases the fine tuning will be outside the interest of most riders, except possibly the map-switch feature, which only the PCV has.

Tuning with SEST isn't as simple as powering-up your computer and clicking with a mouse. Closed-loop operation is only operable at about 0-50% throttle position, and since feedback is only available in that range you have no means of tuning above it that doesn't involve either a dyno or guesswork. This limitation exists because of the stock narrow-band O2 sensors and you can't force it beyond those limits. The only way to get a truly accurate tune with SEST is to hire a competent dyno-tune tech, or find a correct map for the hardware you have installed, which are few and far between. The same goes for the basic PCV, except the map database for these is many times bigger than SEST. Auto-tune largely eliminates the need for a dyno-tune now or in the future, except you'll need a good starting point for ignition timing, as this facet of tuning does not auto-tune.

The only tuners that feature true AFR auto-tuning throughout the RPM and TP range is the PCV Auto-Tune and Thundermax. These tuners use wide-band O2 sensors.
I think you will find the TTS Master tune is also a top of the line.And uses wide-band 02 sensors.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 AM
My Fix
Cruiser

Thanks for the input from everyone , I think I will be going with the PC-V just because wolf my tuner in the houston area perfers the PC-V . Thanks again !

Quick Reply: Se race tuner vs pc-v ?