Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Kit Essentials???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 PM
markallen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Kit Essentials???

Hi Gang,
Just picked up my '09 Ultra. This is my first HD and I'm very excited about it. One of my first tasks is to put together a travel tool kit.

I'd welcome any information, suggestions or "must have" items for the kit. I'm also thinking of buying the small Stop and Go 12 volt air compressor. Is anyone using this? Is it a decent unit?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Cheers, Mark

Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about an extra shift lever and clutch lever.

The shift lever could fall off and the clutch lever could break from a fall. Both will leave you stranded on an otherwise operable machine.

Harley makes a nice handpump for the airshocks but may work for the tires too.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Your Ultra should have came with a nice little tool kit. Unless they didn't include with the '09's........my '06 did.

Other than that...I carry spare spark plugs with tools to change 'em if needed.

I'll probably never use any of it, but what the heck, better prepared than not. Or maybe a riding buddy may need the plugs on the road someday...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have an 09 Ultra, and YES they do come with a toolkit. I think you're more interested in useful paraphernalia. Here are a couple of items I find useful:
Kuryakyn Lid Organizer:
GREAT deal for 42 bucks!
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/27/IMID/714

Touring Suspension Air Pump:
This works for the suspension (is even necessary IMO)...but whoever thought it may work for tires...obviously hasn't seen one:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Other than these, I mounted a $20 LED, 12volt light kit I bought at autozone to a $5 SPST rocker switch I bought at radio shack & mounted it in my pizza box (tour pack). It works GREAT!!! Congrats on the new scoot
-clutch-
P.S. I have an air compressor at home, and check tires before I ride...no need for a portable air compressor IMO.

Attached Thumbnails Tool Kit Essentials???-harley-air-pump-54630_03a_m_19867.jpg   Tool Kit Essentials???-kuryakyn-lid-organizer-4134-1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

One more thing....do NOT use an air compressor to air your shocks...unless you are VERY careful. It's too easy to overfill, and possibly damage your shocks IMO...that's why I view the air pump as a needed item.
-clutch-

Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zip ties, 1/4" drive socket set with torx bits and sockets, Small LED flash light, A little duct tape folded onto itself, Small wire strippers and a short length of wire, Tiny 12 volt tester, Co2 tire inflater, Small hose clamp, All this fits into a small tool bag along with what comes with the bike. Some of it is bike specific but you get the idea. I carry this with me at all times. Oh yeah I forgot a spare exhaust flange nut.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Denver_Rick
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOG membership (free tow for a few miles) small can of tire inflator, wrap 5 ft ofduct tape, red electric tape and aluminum tape around the can. tire plugs, spare fuses, LED flashlight, disposable gloves, various sizes of nuts, 3-4 various length 1/4-20 bolts various sizes of washers, Stainless tie wraps, regular tie wraps, 10ft of 80 strand 10 gauge electrical wire, (you can jump start or charge another bike with it) 10 ft bailing wire, Large garbage bag, plastic grocery bags, (poor mans rain gear, put the grocery bags on under your boots, garbage bag under your jacket) needle nose and regular vice grips, small wide jaw crecent wrench, shrink wrap, lighter or matches, 1/4 inch drive socket set with all torx and allen head sizes on your bike, spark plug(s), (2) 5 minute road flares, (signaling, bear repellent) ziplock baggies, clean throwaway rags, asprin, advil and bandaids, extra cash, $1.00 in change, phone number of a really, really good friend with a truck or trailer. You can put all of this in a 14 inch canvas tool bag,(harbor freight $4) Use a 16 inch bag and you can stick your harley tool wrap in it also. with this setup you can Mcgyver almost anything till you can get somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good pair of walking shoes.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 AM
617south
Tourer

Gator grip socket, black electrical tape 3m 33+

Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,547 Posts

here's what i do. any job that i think i might have to do on the side of the road, when i do it in my garage i use the bike tool kit. if i have to add a tool to do it, then that tool goes into my bike tool kit. that way, i know before hand if it is doable with what i have. nothing worse than getting halfway through a job and finding yourself stuck.

to the excellent suggestions already posted, add some type of cigarette lighter charger, you may need to charge your cell phone while your on the side of the road.

personally, i would ditch the hog membership. there 'free towing' service left me stranded on the side of the road for 6 hrs until i figured something else out. but you probably already have road side assistance with your insurance, or even one of your credit cards.....

Quick Reply: Tool Kit Essentials???