Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cleaning tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought the HD micro fibers towels. So far they are leaving little bits of fabric on the paint but blow off easily. I assume this will go away as they get used more.

the leaf blower trick works great but read in the new issue of HOG that it's not a great idea cause its blowing dirty air. For the next wash I'm going to experiment with putting a T shirt over the inlet to make a filter, see how dirty it can get over time. I can see the potential for scratching paint if something gets in the airstream.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
TxMongrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used WD40 on the windshield with favorable results removing month old bugs. It didn't get hazy either, and repels water now.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the tip on this site to mix Hydrogen peroxide 50/50 with distilled water and that works great to dissolve the bugs and has not harmed my fairing one bit

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I always used the hot towel method for the bugs, works great. Haven't tried the lemon pledge yet, but I will once I run out of the S100 stuff

Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No hot water at the garage so I use a spray of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water like Homebrew does. Works on the windshield, headlamps and metal just fine. The mixture breaks down the dead bugs, something about the bug guts being and acid and the peroxide is a base and they destroy each other... I don't know, high school was for lacrosse and girls, not science.
I prefer Zainos towels to microfiber for the paint.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

+1 on the Zaino towels, that is what I switched to.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorebhoy
No hot water at the garage so I use a spray of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water like Homebrew does. Works on the windshield, headlamps and metal just fine. The mixture breaks down the dead bugs, something about the bug guts being and acid and the peroxide is a base and they destroy each other... I don't know, high school was for lacrosse and girls, not science.
I prefer Zainos towels to microfiber for the paint.
+2 on the hydrogen peroxide but I use it full strength. Dissolves bugs instantly.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just use a micro fiber towel soaked with hot water, then a dry towel to wipe water reside off.
My only secret is to use a new wet towel pretty often. Dead bug parts on your wet towel will scratch things. Use lots of towels.

I tried the hydrogen peroxide thing and Honda cleaner thing, but straight hot water seems to work just as well and doesn't stink or make my hands feel weird.

FYI: When you wash you dirty towels in the washing machine, then put them in the dryer "do not use a dryer sheet in the dryer".
They will leave some sort of waxy film on the towel that you don't want on the bike.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 03-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I tried the hydrogen peroxide thing and Honda cleaner thing, but straight hot water seems to work just as well and doesn't stink or make my hands feel weird.
My experience was the same, and the hydrogen peroxied left a dull film where it driped on my Shiny Vivid Black.

Beary

Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I wish I had asked him how he got it so smooth and scratch free.
After washing, use a swirl remover before waxing, use a foam applicator pad for the wax, use a good wax. I use Meguier's Tech 2.0 or something. Works great, for light cleaning while on rides, I use Meguier's Nano spray wax.

Quick Reply: New cleaning tips?