Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed a SE Heavy Breather - sock question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Just installed a SE Heavy Breather - sock question

I have had a SE Heavy Breather for my bike for 6 months or so but never installed it. I saw it sitting in the garage on Saturday and decided it was time for a change. I installed it in about 30 minutes and will see how it goes.

I do have a question about the rain sock. Do most of you ride with it on or off? I think I would like to leave it on. The only problem is that I can't find the rain sock. I must have left it out of the box at some point.

If it doesn't cause an issue to leave it on, I think I will try to find one someone isn't using and leave it on all the time.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If you want one right away the company that makes them is called Outerwears .

Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i leave it on - looks good with the SE logo.. and dont want to get caught in rain without it.... i sure it keeps the filter somewhat cleaner from debris.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Slopneck
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I have had a SE Heavy Breather for my bike for 6 months or so but never installed it. I saw it sitting in the garage on Saturday and decided it was time for a change. I installed it in about 30 minutes and will see how it goes.

I do have a question about the rain sock. Do most of you ride with it on or off? I think I would like to leave it on. The only problem is that I can't find the rain sock. I must have left it out of the box at some point.

If it doesn't cause an issue to leave it on, I think I will try to find one someone isn't using and leave it on all the time.
Hey, Dennis...just curious if you had it mapped or anything when you added the heavy breather? If not, did you notice any decel popping, etc?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
lensride
6th Gear

dennis i ride my 07 road glide with sox off except hard rain.if you dont your engine will b sucking water

Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bradlytle
Hey, Dennis...just curious if you had it mapped or anything when you added the heavy breather? If not, did you notice any decel popping, etc?
I have the PCV with autotune. One of the reasons I added autotune was so I could switch stuff around and have the PCV/AT adjust the map. Works great. Also, I was using the SE backplate with the K&N filter so I dont know it the air flow changed that much.

Last edited by JustDennis; 03-23-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

I ride with mine on (SE logo to the inside :-) ) 100% of the time. No issues. It was even tuned that way.

Zach

Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
creep1
Road Captain

Leave it off !!! keep the sock in your bag. thats what the bags are for. if it rains pull over and put it on. I had my sock on for a year and when I took it off my filter was brand spankin new- which only means one thing. IT IS RESTRICTIVE. I dont care what anyone says if the filter element looks brand new after one year of riding, then the same amount of air isnt passing also the dirt is getting trapped on the sock restricting airflow as well.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to ride with it off, but I hate to stop every time it sprinkles so I just leave it on all the time now. I can't tell any difference in power with the sock on or off.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless I get caught in a downpour mine stays in my bag. Looks too good without it but that's JMO. I am probably going to end up with the Willie G.decorative end cap anyway. The only other issue I myself have regarding the HB is as my bike is not EFI and once I installed it I now need to get the chrome carburetor cover, something you EFI folks do not have issues with. And yes, I am a self admitted chrome junkie but I am in therapy.

Quick Reply: Just installed a SE Heavy Breather - sock question