Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearing the end on DIY tire changing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Scrooge,
I think I see where you're coming from.....it's not about the tires or the bead breaking.

It's about getting to a physical state where these jobs that you have truly enjoyed for years are beginning to be beyond your abilities.......

I fear that most in life.

I'm 48 and very much a DIY'er....and think about the day when I won't be able to turn a wrench or swing a golf club.

It's inevitable & something I don't like to think about.......but.....yes, that time will come whether I like it or not.

I just hope that you have received a lot of enjoyment out of it over the years.

Cheers to you.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a pack of dyna beads, but I had to use so much soap salution to get the bead to set I was fearful of having a sticky mess inside the tire. I opted out for ballancing with a piece of 3/4" all thread with a sealed bearing on the ends, bearings resting on jack stands. The tire changer I built will have the ballancer brackets in place for next tire swap.

I'm 56 btw. Some of you have a few years on me, but I spent the last 28 years waiting to die litterally. The bike got me off my fat ***, and gave me a reason to move again.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I bought a pack of dyna beads, but I had to use so much soap salution to get the bead to set I was fearful of having a sticky mess inside the tire. I opted out for ballancing with a piece of 3/4" all thread with a sealed bearing on the ends, bearings resting on jack stands. The tire changer I built will have the ballancer brackets in place for next tire swap.

I'm 56 btw. Some of you have a few years on me, but I spent the last 28 years waiting to die litterally. The bike got me off my fat ***, and gave me a reason to move again.
That's the only thing about the E3's. they have a stiff sidewall. It's hard to get the beads to set. Maybe if I'd used more soap. I didn't want to use a lot and have the Dynabeads not work. I used dishwashing liquid and water mixed. I'm thinking it will dry in a day or two. I try to do my tire changing during bad weather so I can take my time. The Picture of my bike in the driveway only has the new E3 on the rear. after riding it a couple hundred miles, it felt so good, I put the front one on. Best set of tires I can remember having.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only put about 50 miles on my rear E3 but unless my mind is playing with me, it sure feels better than the 402. Seems to have more grip on pavement. Going from the shop this morning on wet grass it kinda felt like the bald 402!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Scrooge,
I think I see where you're coming from.....it's not about the tires or the bead breaking.

It's about getting to a physical state where these jobs that you have truly enjoyed for years are beginning to be beyond your abilities.......

I fear that most in life.

I'm 48 and very much a DIY'er....and think about the day when I won't be able to turn a wrench or swing a golf club.

It's inevitable & something I don't like to think about.......but.....yes, that time will come whether I like it or not.

I just hope that you have received a lot of enjoyment out of it over the years.

Cheers to you.
Thanks Ashmarc. I'm a lifelong DIYer and realized I'm doing a lot of "lasts" now. Put my last new roof on the house in 2007 (barring a hailstorm it will come due again when I'm about 87) and my last new water heater a couple of months ago. People who hire things done will never understand the sense of accomplishment that comes from DIY.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
People who hire things done will never understand the sense of accomplishment that comes from DIY.
Amen brother. No better feeling than opening a cold beer and looking at whatever it was that took you 2 hours or 2 days to do by yourself.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Next on my list of things to get for the shop. or copy for myself

Tyreplyers beadbreaker you should see these things work. Nice

Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

mounting and removing tires is not hard with the right tools, I built a square out of 2 X 4's with a cross brace in the middle , drilled a hole in the center of the brace and screwed in place a 3' piece of 1/2" threaded bar from Home Depot, carpeted the top of the wood, used scrap wood and carpet scraps, 1/2" bar cost under $5, then bought a www.no-scufftiretool.com for $87, followed the directions and it's a snap, hardest part is the stop & go bead breaker, it works well but a little slow, if I changed tires often I'd upgrade, but at 1 or 2 tires a year it's not worth it