Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearing the end on DIY tire changing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Understood Uncle Scrooge.
It really can take a toll on you when it's just you, a manual bead breaker, some tire irons and a new rear tire!

Spent more than enough time with tired, scuffed up hands gettin' it the bike ready for a new season. Now I go to my buddies car tire shop and sneak them on the tire machine.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I just changed the rear tire on my '99 RK this weekend also. Took me almost 5 days...

But, I did build my own tire changer and fabbed my own tire tools. Also included a tire ballancer in the frame below the mounting surface. Works ok, I just need to fab up one of those no-mar mount/demount bars to make it much easier on the ol' bod. Next tire swap will be MUCH quicker!

Quick pic taken just a moment ago. Look beyond the cluttered up shop...

NICE, I do all my own as well, and all of my buddies too. with spoons. I should make one of those. Or get the Harbor Freight unit that on sale

Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I just changed the rear tire on my '99 RK this weekend also. Took me almost 5 days...

But, I did build my own tire changer and fabbed my own tire tools. Also included a tire ballancer in the frame below the mounting surface. Works ok, I just need to fab up one of those no-mar mount/demount bars to make it much easier on the ol' bod. Next tire swap will be MUCH quicker!

Quick pic taken just a moment ago. Look beyond the cluttered up shop...

Dude are you a machinist? I see that lathe in the background

Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a votech course for general shop machinist years ago. Just 8 hours shy of mechanical drafting degree. Dozens of other courses throughout the years... Ain't no professional, but I can get it done!

Most of the tools are Harbor Freight chinese knock offs, but they work well enough...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

At 55 the testosterone fairy came in my sleep and robbed me of most of my strength...too old to manage tire change alone

Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmac53
At 55 the testosterone fairy came in my sleep and robbed me of most of my strength...too old to manage tire change alone
LOL...that's what happened!!

I take pride in that I work on my own scoot for everything except......tires. I don't change them often enough (sadly) so it is the one fight I leave to the shop with the tools. Hat's off to all of you who struggle through it yourself!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

After having some warranty work done by a Dealer and finding my drive belt left loose, I'm trying to do most of my service now. I know some of you are as old, but I'm pushing 68 yrs young. I changed both front and rear tires on my UC with two tire spoons and rim protector's. Two pieces of 4X4 12 long with a towel covering them to protect my rims. The only problem I had was after changing, I had to take them to a Service station to get them pumped up. I only have a small nail gun compressor. I couldn't get enough air volume to set the beads. I broke the beads with one of the 4X4's and a 8 Ft 4X4 under the edge of my back deck.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
After having some warranty work done by a Dealer and finding my drive belt left loose, I'm trying to do most of my service now. I know some of you are as old, but I'm pushing 68 yrs young. I changed both front and rear tires on my UC with two tire spoons and rim protector's. Two pieces of 4X4 12 long with a towel covering them to protect my rims. The only problem I had was after changing, I had to take them to a Service station to get them pumped up. I only have a small nail gun compressor. I couldn't get enough air volume to set the beads. I broke the beads with one of the 4X4's and a 8 Ft 4X4 under the edge of my back deck.
Hats off to you Ron. You've got 3 years on me. I break the beads with 3 6" C-clamps, remove and reinstall on the wheel with 3 spoons, and go to the service station to air it up. I've never had a problem getting Dunlop beads to seat with a genuine station compressor (not one of those dinky coin operated jobs). Check the balance by resting the wheel between two kitchen chairs and marking several spins with chalk.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmac53
Replaced my air temp gauge with a testosterometer. Damned thing hasn't moved off zero for several years now.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
Hats off to you Ron. You've got 3 years on me. I break the beads with 3 6" C-clamps, remove and reinstall on the wheel with 3 spoons, and go to the service station to air it up. I've never had a problem getting Dunlop beads to seat with a genuine station compressor (not one of those dinky coin operated jobs). Check the balance by resting the wheel between two kitchen chairs and marking several spins with chalk.
I use Dynabeads for balancing. I've never felt the bike so smooth as now. I'll try the C-clamps next change...thanks!

Quick Reply: Nearing the end on DIY tire changing