Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Firmware update issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1
Same here, I was on the phone with Jamie & Keith when the 1.4.0 firmware failed to properly update. I had to re-run the firmware update 3-4 times before it all took properly and I got all of my gauge monitors back on the right side of the computer screen within the software.

Just keep re-running the firmware update until it all gets back to normal.
I just installed my PC-V yesterday, ofcourse, I see this thread, go back out to the bike, sure enough, no ENG Temp, RPM, etc... Came to work today, during lunch, went back out with my laptop, took 4 tries before the reloaded FW had a different interface and it all works.

Next, I will be working on getting those stupid wires in for the MAP Switch so I can run 2 MAPs.

Cale

Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,796 Likes on 22,740 Posts

I've been right @300(Oil temp gauge in the dash and the digitial one from HD in the oil bag) several times w/my stage 1 download for the PC-V from F/M, Ness AC and Rinehart slipons, not real uncommon for me. I have a HD Prem. oil cooler with the fan that attaches to the back of it from ebay, going to install next after amsoil this week. Mostly ride 2 up. Worries the ***** outta me when F/M says that it's supposed to be 230. Uhhh huhhh.. Afraid to take it to places when it's in the 90's or in a crowd. Gas MPG is right at 38-42. Bike runs great but gets real hot.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I've been right @300(Oil temp gauge in the dash and the digitial one from HD in the oil bag) several times w/my stage 1 download for the PC-V from F/M, Ness AC and Rinehart slipons, not real uncommon for me. I have a HD Prem. oil cooler with the fan that attaches to the back of it from ebay, going to install next after amsoil this week. Mostly ride 2 up. Worries the ***** outta me when F/M says that it's supposed to be 230. Uhhh huhhh.. Afraid to take it to places when it's in the 90's or in a crowd. Gas MPG is right at 38-42. Bike runs great but gets real hot.
IMO you should be running no higher than 230°, and that only in heavy summer traffic. Your peak of 300° is just too damn hot by a long shot and you're going in the right direction by installing a cooler. That should get your temps in control and I hope you'll report back the changes you see after the install. I'm surprised you're running that hot with the Fuel Moto setup, as that usually gets OT closer to reality than you're experiencing.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update

It's currently 90 degrees here in North West Arkansas with humidity of 300+ (actually it's about 60%, not too bad right now).

I hooked the PC up and started the bike. It immediately read 87 degrees and quickly climbed to 95 in about 30 seconds. I verified that the auto tune was enabled and went for a short ride (5 miles max). Got back and immediately hooked up the PC again without turning off the bike. It read 237 and rose to 260 in about 1 minute. During that minute I looked at the trim values and they were all still set at 0. I'm going to assume that my ride was too short to make adjustments. I'll on call for work this week and can't venture far from the house so next week I'll take it for a good ride and see what happens.

So yes, I now think the 329 was accurate. Just goes to show how fast the bike can heat up when sitting for a couple of minutes in 90+ degree heat. I need to look into an oil cooler and temp gauge.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by MEGALifted
Update

It's currently 90 degrees here in North West Arkansas with humidity of 300+ (actually it's about 60%, not too bad right now).

I hooked the PC up and started the bike. It immediately read 87 degrees and quickly climbed to 95 in about 30 seconds. I verified that the auto tune was enabled and went for a short ride (5 miles max). Got back and immediately hooked up the PC again without turning off the bike. It read 237 and rose to 260 in about 1 minute. During that minute I looked at the trim values and they were all still set at 0. I'm going to assume that my ride was too short to make adjustments. I'll on call for work this week and can't venture far from the house so next week I'll take it for a good ride and see what happens.

So yes, I now think the 329 was accurate. Just goes to show how fast the bike can heat up when sitting for a couple of minutes in 90+ degree heat. I need to look into an oil cooler and temp gauge.
Thank you for the update, they certainly can get a bit warm in 90+ temps when stationary

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to go into the office today. Rode the Street Glide, about 20 miles round trip. Got home and checked the trim values. The AT had modified them so I'm calling my firmware upgrade a success.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I had this problem when I updated soft and firm and added the LCD-200. I think it was because I did not wait long enough to get the loaded signal because the third time I did get the all done pop up and I had all channels.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a little off topic, but can anyone tell me if the power commander needs to be hooked up to download the updated firmware? I know it has to be plugged into a laptop to be updated, but does it have to be plugged in just to down load the new firmware?

Reason I ask is because I got a new laptop and downloaded the software from the PC site. I then tried to download the update and it wouldn't open. I thought I would just download it, then update it later when I install my new duals.

Also, what exactly is the difference between the new and old? Do I really need to update it?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the Firmware update yesterday, was having a issue starting bike with Fuel Injection.. talked to Keith and then atgtempted download. Attached everything I needed to laptop,, everything was ok and firm ware started to upload.. erro and stopped.. knowing I am the one whos luck is not so good I tried it again.. upload finished and started bike up on first try,,, Took for ride and runs smoother and throttle response is even better,, Keith and Jamie have alot of insight on this and other issues so please ask and get info the HD says is Normal.. Idle switch clogging was picked up by Jamie and fixed with cleaner.. thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My PCV was installed in January 2010, is it necessary to download any of these updates? Thanks

Quick Reply: PCV Firmware update issues