Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enigine Oil in Bottom of Engine Case

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 PM
iflyguns
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enigine Oil in Bottom of Engine Case

Guys, I know this ones been discussed often but I cant for the life of me find it via search.
I just had my engine top end rebuild to a 95". It runs great but is, what I though, using oil. I pulled the plugs and they look good. I checked the air cleaner and it is moist...maybe a little more than usuall. Now, I pulled the bottom engine case plug and I got 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart of oil.Thats in only 1500 miles. Any thoughts?

I have drained the engine case in the past so the 1/2 -3/4 of oil I just found is from this rebuild.
Thanks,
Tony

Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
SuperAir
Advanced

Have the oil pump out? Most likely the o-ring is cut/ pinched where the scavenge port seals to the inner cam chest.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
iflyguns
Intermediate

Yes Sir...the oil pump was indeed out. But, if I'm not mistaken I would see a slight oil pressue issue and I don't. Am I correct?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

If you're getting more than 6oz out of the bottom drain plug, you're sumping.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
SuperAir
Advanced

Originally Posted by iflyguns
Yes Sir...the oil pump was indeed out. But, if I'm not mistaken I would see a slight oil pressue issue and I don't. Am I correct?
Nope. What you will notice is that when you check the oil it is low. When you let off the gas it will feel like the brakes are on, and when you rev the bike in nuetral it will sound like it's struggling to spin up. If you drain the sump and fire it back up, it will run mint, for about 10 seconds.....then it will sump again and oil will be low, again. It is not returning to the oil tank from the crankcase because of the damaged oring. The pump can't scavenge it on the return side. Did you do the work yourself? The only way to fix it is to remove the cams,etc to replace the o-ring.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
iflyguns
Intermediate

Sumping means what exactly?
No I did not do the work myself it was a local shop. The one thing I did forget to mention is that I do smell oil when I'm driving down the road and it seems to be coming from the breather/air cleaner area.
Thanks for the opinions and help guys..

Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sumping is when you have excess oil in the bottom of the crankcase. Bad thing since these are dry sump motors. The flywheels spin in the oil and the oil clings to them causing poor performance and most of the time increased heat from the motor.

I'd contact the shop and tell them what's going on and the amount of oil you are finding in the case. If they are a stand up shop, they should want to take it apart and find out what's going on.... O-ring, pump alignment, etc. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Sumping is when you have excess oil in the bottom of the crankcase. Bad thing since these are dry sump motors. The flywheels spin in the oil and the oil clings to them causing poor performance and most of the time increased heat from the motor.

I'd contact the shop and tell them what's going on and the amount of oil you are finding in the case. If they are a stand up shop, they should want to take it apart and find out what's going on.... O-ring, pump alignment, etc. Good luck.
Yep sounds like you have two issues, a bad o ring on the pick up and a bad oil pump alignment!

Like dawg said no more than 6-8 oz's shouls be in there.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
SuperAir
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
This. I screwed one up while under the employment of another shop. Ended up working on the guys bike again 2 years later at my own shop, realized what was going on and warranteed it for him even though he had it done at my previous employer. I knew it was my fault . A good shop stands behind everything they do. If they won't fix it, find a new place to do business.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 AM
iflyguns
Intermediate

OK.....
Thanks guys. Last few questions:
I'm sure the shop will stand behind it but for my own knowledge and the fact I might do it myself:
1. Is there any secret to getting the o-ring installed correctly, lube, etc.?
2. Which cam plate would you recommend? I think I'm going to upgrade.
3. I would like to go to a fueling pump, worth it?
4. If I change out the cam plate and pump is there anything else I'd need?
5. Does the new cam plate come with bearings installed?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by iflyguns; 03-23-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Enigine Oil in Bottom of Engine Case