Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King - Classic or Standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
NMRoadking09
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Classic. Only drawbacks are that they don't have locks except for after market and they are expensive and dont't seem too good. Also, they open the wrong way...IMO. They always hit the docking hardware for the detachables and get little blemishes on the bags. I see bags at the dealership that open out and wonder why they didn't put them on the stock classic. Sooner or later I will have the stock leather bags....for cool looks, and hard bags for.....lockability and looks.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
NMRoadking09
Advanced

Nice bike Donnie. Very nice accessory too!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:58 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eathomps
If it matters to you, there is more room in the hard bags than the leather ones.
I wondered about the difference in the available space between hard and leather bags. I personally wanted the classic for all the "classic" reasons, laced wheels, white walls, leather bags. Having done quite a bit of touring I can tell you that I have stuffed the bags beyond their intended "shape" with a lot of very useful gear!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:24 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

i went classic and had them swap the bags for hard bags and told them i didnt wanna see the bike with white walls.my hd shop did the swapping for nothing. told them i wanted pacific blue and spokes hard bags and blk tires.didnt want the medalion on the tank wanted the sticker but i would have had to buy the tank and that was 1100 bucks.so im living with the medalion

Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 PM
spacedog
Novice
Smile My new RK hard bagger

I went through the same thing and decided on the standard, picked it up 8 days ago and put about 300 mi on it. The hard lockable bags and spokeless wheels swayed me. It may never happen but you can plug a standard wheel with a flat on the road but not with spokes (they need tubes).

Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spacedog
I went through the same thing and decided on the standard, picked it up 8 days ago and put about 300 mi on it. The hard lockable bags and spokeless wheels swayed me. It may never happen but you can plug a standard wheel with a flat on the road but not with spokes (they need tubes).

Fix-a-flat got my buddy from bum-ta-da Utah back to Vegas on a laced RK Classic...almost 200 miles!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my classic in every respect, except for the tube tires.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 PM
roki2008
Advanced

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. And I love the looks of the Classic. The added care with the bags and wheels are not a big deal for me. You will know which one is for you. By the way, which bike did you end up choosing?

Old 04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

i had a classic, i tour alot, if i had it to do again it would be cast wheels no white walls and locking hard bags. the classic looks great but, spokes suck when u get a flat(no fix a flat will save u) there hard to clean as are the white walls and the leather bags will get scuffs(unless its a bar hoping beuty queen).

Old 04-17-2010, 08:16 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

There is another of the version beyond the CLASSIC?!

Quick Reply: Road King - Classic or Standard