Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Broke A Clutch Cable Where?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I Broke A Clutch Cable Where?

...the metal ring at the end of the cable that wraps around the clutch lever. Yepper.... broke clean in half. Happened around 9 PM Friday night. Pulled on to a busy street, went to shift to second, pulled in the clutch and "snap". Pretty screwed when that happens. Fortunately the H.O.G. membership came through and the towing was completely covered. Plus the guys knew exactly how to get a bike home...not one scratch.

Anyone see one break like that? I've already started the process of changing the cable, unfortunately it looks like the right side exhaust has to come off to access the clutch cover. Those of you who have done this, any tips? I'm also installing an Easy-Pull Clutch kit while I'm at it. The bike is a 2001, but I'm sure that the amount of pull it takes to disengage the clutch may have played a role?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You did not indicate how many miles are on the bike, or if it had an SE or other heavier spring, but for being 9 years old, most anything like a cable might just fail due to age or use. Yes, I have heard of clutch cables breaking, happens all the time, but ususally is not something that is replaced "just in case".

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

Bike has around 18k...stock other than the carb jetted. I know they break, but thought it was a little unusual where it broke.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Seen several break like that.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got lucky with my 99 FLHT when I put a lighter pull device at the end of the cable at the trans I was able to just use a short arm allen/hex wrench to get the cover off and back on. Quick and easy. Even used the same gasket.

I should have gotten the HD kit with the spring but I cheaped out and got the $12 one. It did make it 50% better.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Keith50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how often do you oil your cable?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'01, completely stock with only 18K? Sitting idle, not being used can be a bad thing...

Brass ring and steel or stainless steel cable, could be a victim of galvanic corrosion. Lack of use can allow cables to seize, or lubrication harden. Besides, the ends of cables are the weak point and high stress areas. As far as I know, my clutch cable is stock and mine is approaching very near 80K miles. I'm expecting it to go any time...

Last edited by CroK; 03-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keith50
how often do you oil your cable?
just what I was thinking too

Old 03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

Evidentally not often enough..I have had more bikes than I can count, never had this happen. Cable was serviced around 3-4k ago. Oh well....one of those things that wil take longer to get to it than change it.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Copper Hog
Cruiser

Just changed out my cable after changing to new handlebars. Not difficult, but I did underestimate the amount of work. The directions in ther service manual should start with "first, disassemble the motorcycle"

Quick Reply: I Broke A Clutch Cable Where?