Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Broke A Clutch Cable Where?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, almost finished....can't believe my top quality Harbor Freight Snap Ring Pliers didn't do a better job, actually I can. Need to get a gasket then done. Thanks for the input all....

Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Copper Hog
Just changed out my cable after changing to new handlebars. Not difficult, but I did underestimate the amount of work. The directions in ther service manual should start with "first, disassemble the motorcycle"
Now that's freakin' funny!!

Sure seems like that way sometimes. I won't tell you about my weekend with my bikes but let's just say I couldn't seem to do anything right.

I made up for today though and didn't give up until the deeds were done.

Took a nice ride afterward and the world was ok again.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I never have,always keep that pivot well maintained.Over 40 yrs ago one of my riding buddies,who was very lax in the maintainance dept,broke his for lack of lube.His ride back home was a long miserable one.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The fact is cables can break.Frequent inspections would help prevent the stranded feeling.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
The fact is cables can break.Frequent inspections would help prevent the stranded feeling.
That was probably the worst part of it...not a thing you can do about it when it lets go.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

It depends on where you're at & how good you are at ridin. I'll bet dog155's friend rode it home without the clutch, it can be done, just not very safe in crowded traffic. If you're out in the middle of nowhere you can start the bike & push it or or better yet have a buddy push you & drop it into 1st. You can shift the bike without a clutch if you take it real easy & don't use very many RPM's. Down shifting the same way, slow down to about 1500 & go for a lower gear. Always drive way ahead of yourself so tou don't have to stop in a hurry, coming up to a stop you'll have to try & slip it into neutral from 2nd & coast up to the stop, then start all over. As you can see it won't work in town, but I'm sure a lot have done it when stranded out in the middle of nowhere, especially before everybody had AAA ect.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:43 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

Unfortunately, I had turned onto one of the busiest streets in town...on a Friday night! I went though every alternative I could come up with, especially because where I ended up isn't the best part of town. My goal was to find a busy, well lit parking lot. I was half sucessful, it was well lit...but pretty deserted. I think knowing that I was going to get the hell out of there when the flatbed finally showed up was just as good as getting my bike home in one piece.