Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Suspension Air Valve leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Diavolo Rosso
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Suspension Air Valve leak

I've tried several times to pump my 09 street glide rear suspension only to have all the air leak out every time I un-screw the pump. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
elauee1
Banned

Are u using an HD suspension pump

Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not a large air chamber. try using a pump that doesn't screw on the schrader fitting. I use my air compressor, but I give it small burst of air to get my PSI where I want it. Harley makes a pump that works very good also.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Diavolo Rosso
2nd Gear

Yes, it's a HD pump.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I use a HD pump and haven't had the problem described, possibly a bad pump or valve. Have you used this pump on another bike? Try it on a friends bike to determine if it is the pump or the valve.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
jitter
Intermediate

The schrader valve is probably loose. Find a valve cap with the tool built in and either tighten it up or replace it.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Check all the air lines and connections. I remembered a couple of years ago on my old "07 Night Rod Special", I made a trip to Florida. When on my way down to Fl, during the ride somewhere in Georgia on I-95, I was hitting a set of bridges right before entering Fl. and the rear end was hitting very hard and I said to myself, this isn't normal and once I had the chance to get off at the next exit. I'd noticed that the fender had clipped the line on the right side. Locky to say that, I was able to fix it by pulling the slack and reconnecting it for the rest of my trip. The first thing I did was to purchased some extra air line just in case.... That was an after market Anotte Air Suspension for the rod and the way I fed the line under in between the fender and the belt guard cause the line to be clipped at some point and ended up scratching the whole chrome side of the pulley.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could disconnect the red airlines and using a new razor blade cut a small piece off as square as you can. And reconnect.

I had a very slow air loss when I first got the bike and I did this now it does not loose even a pound.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
hdmaniak
Stage I

Hi All I think I had the same problem ...the HD air pomp connector wasn't opening the valve when screwed on ..so i was onely building up the presure in that short hose(not the shocks ), when unscrewing all the air was escaping.So what was happening is that the air pomp screw was bottoming on the shredder valve bracket .All i have done was grind couple of mm of the air pomp screw and its working perfect now .Kind regards

Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i've never owned a bagger that held air in the rear shocks for more than a week. Pump them up to 45 or so and come back a week later and they're down to less than 30.. just something I've learned to deal with over the years...

Quick Reply: HELP! Suspension Air Valve leak