Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Amplifier question

I am about ready to get started with my radio install project but I am thinking I need to add an amp to this system. I have the Biketronics retro radio/Sony adapter with 4 Arc Audio 5025 speakers rated at 75-140 watts each. Here is the amp I am thinking of using:http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ss+MR1000.html
It is marine grade but it is a little bigger than I would like. I can't afford a 4-5 hundred dollar amp from the big boys so this is a good option for me providing there is enough room to mount it in the fairing. Has anyone put a 12" X 8" amp inside a batwing and if so how is it mounted? Or if anyone has another affordable idea...

Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraLarry
I am about ready to get started with my radio install project but I am thinking I need to add an amp to this system. I have the Biketronics retro radio/Sony adapter with 4 Arc Audio 5025 speakers rated at 75-140 watts each. Here is the amp I am thinking of using:http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ss+MR1000.html
It is marine grade but it is a little bigger than I would like. I can't afford a 4-5 hundred dollar amp from the big boys so this is a good option for me providing there is enough room to mount it in the fairing. Has anyone put a 12" X 8" amp inside a batwing and if so how is it mounted? Or if anyone has another affordable idea...
I measured between the vertical (black) fairing brackets just above the Harman Kardon head unit in my EG and the distance was 11.5". You can make anything work, of course, but a 12" wide amp isn't going inside the fairing without a lot of work.

You can get a Bazooka 200W four channel amp that fits above the radio, and comes with a wiring harness for plug and play installation. A friend has one on his '06 Road Glide and is happy with it. You can find them for under $400 IIRC.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12 X 8 won't fit in the Batwing !!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

There was another post on here talking about an Elf mini amp, supposed to be a knock-off of an ARC, I don't have one & I don't know if the quality is as good, but the price is right. Look up Elf mini amp on ebay, $150 BIN.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 AM
dredy2g
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraLarry
Why don't you give Wayne a call ( Firecap501) he's a forum member and a ARC dealer. That's where I got my amp and I'm very happy with it. He can answer any questions you may have he's a real good guy to work with.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM
ElectraLarry
Tourer

I checked out the elf but its only a 2 channel amp. Don't I need a 4 channel amp if I am running a 4 speaker set up? What If I want to add tweeters also? Sorry for being ignorant on the subject, I am starting from scratch here.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Perhaps one of our very knowledgeable guys will chime in to explain how to wire four speakers to a two-channel amp. In the meantime, this link will help explain how to do it taking into consideration the ohm/impedance of the speakers and amp:

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Carl

Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer

After reading the article on wiring a 2 channel amp to 4 speakers, wouldn't I be losing my fader controls? Would I retain fader control only by using a 4 channel amp? Maybe its not a big deal if I'm running the second set of speakers in the Hogtunes lower fairing kit.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Joe Squid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not let the sony run the front speakers and the amp run the rears? My sony is plenty loud without the amp so far, but I do have a JVC 50x50 laying around ...so...

Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe Squid
Why not let the sony run the front speakers and the amp run the rears? My sony is plenty loud without the amp so far, but I do have a JVC 50x50 laying around ...so...
So.... your going to sell me your amp?
I guess I could just try it without an amp and see how it sounds. I have a week or two before I start this project so I have some time to check out all my options.
Another question... just to make it more interesting. Has anyone here put tweeters in the clock/temp gauge holes? They come with crossovers so I can wire them strait to the radio, correct? http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db...s=db351#db1001

Quick Reply: Amplifier question