Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klockwerks Windshield Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:56 PM
tangeloglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klockwerks Windshield Advice

I'm looking at buying a klockwerks windshield for my Road Glide. I am 5'8" with a short body, so I sit pretty low. My current shield is only about 5" or so and I have so much buffeting that my sunglasses rattle at 80mph. I was thinking of getting the 8" shield. Anyone have the 8" and does it create a nice quiet zone for your head?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
I'm looking at buying a klockwerks windshield for my Road Glide. I am 5'8" with a short body, so I sit pretty low. My current shield is only about 5" or so and I have so much buffeting that my sunglasses rattle at 80mph. I was thinking of getting the 8" shield. Anyone have the 8" and does it create a nice quiet zone for your head?

Thanks in advance.
first and formost, nice color combo on your scoot (orange n black = Tigger as my grand kids say). I bought my Roadglide used and it came with a Klock Werks dark windshield and it really, really looked cool. however compared to my Ultra the Roade Glide produces much more wind/buffeting. The Klockwerks just didn't do what I had anticipated and I actually picked up an OEM take off and run it for most of a year (even did a Bun Burner Gold with in last June and on a stock seat). Only in the last couple weeks have I have been running a Vstream wind shield. I think I like it, but there is still some buffeting. Regardless I plan to run with it this summer on the Hoka Hey Challenge. They are definate quality shields, thicker polycarbonate than H-D shields, and the Vstreams have a hardening process to prevent surface scratching.

back to the Klock Werks shield, only recently I saw a video of the insatallation and explantion by Brian Klock on what the Klock Werks is supposed to or not supposed to do. per their video:

1. not intended to block you from the wind (he said get a car if you want that).
2. intended to smooth out the air. still get the wind in your face but without all the buffeting. In restrospect, I believe it does this well, but I personnaly prefer the wind bubble to be pushed just over my head (buffeting or not). Especially if touring and expectiong to be riding in rain for extended periods.

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFAo6zCHzA

I missed where you are, but I have the Klock Werks shield bubble wrapped in my garage. If you are near buy, I'd surely let you try it out. oh and I'm 5' 9".

Last edited by oley55; 03-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
tangeloglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by oley55
I bought my Roadglide used and it came with a Klock Werks dark windshield and it really, really looked cool. however compared to my Ultra the Roade Glide produces much more wind/buffeting. The Klockwerks just didn't do what I had anticipated .
What size shield was your klockwerks

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Sancho
Road Master

I've heard too many negative comments about them to buy one. I bought a Windvest and I'm very happy with it.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:04 AM
chasd
Cruiser

I have a small KW shield I will sell for 100 bucks shipped. Bike looks WAY COOL with it on but I like my tunes when I ride and I cant hear them much with all the buffeting. Some like them for around town cruising. I want one perfect shield Still looking. The one i have is problem free and the darkest one they make

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
dklanecky
Tourer

When you feel the turbulence, put your hands (one at a time) along the top edges / sides of the tank and see if that's where your air is coming from.

I found that the wind was coming from underneath, not from over the top, so I went with Hogg Chopps lowers, and stopped the turbulence, with combination of lowers, stock seat, and standard height clearview windshield. I'm 6' with a 31" inseam.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dklanecky
When you feel the turbulence, put your hands (one at a time) along the top edges / sides of the tank and see if that's where your air is coming from.

I found that the wind was coming from underneath, not from over the top, so I went with Hogg Chopps lowers, and stopped the turbulence, with combination of lowers, stock seat, and standard height clearview windshield. I'm 6' with a 31" inseam.
dklanecky, are you saying from under the fairing, or under the flares in the windshield?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oley55
first and formost, nice color combo on your scoot (orange n black = Tigger as my grand kids say). I bought my Roadglide used and it came with a Klock Werks dark windshield and it really, really looked cool. however compared to my Ultra the Roade Glide produces much more wind/buffeting. The Klockwerks just didn't do what I had anticipated and I actually picked up an OEM take off and run it for most of a year (even did a Bun Burner Gold with in last June and on a stock seat). Only in the last couple weeks have I have been running a Vstream wind shield. I think I like it, but there is still some buffeting. Regardless I plan to run with it this summer on the Hoka Hey Challenge. They are definate quality shields, thicker polycarbonate than H-D shields, and the Vstreams have a hardening process to prevent surface scratching.

back to the Klock Werks shield, only recently I saw a video of the insatallation and explantion by Brian Klock on what the Klock Werks is supposed to or not supposed to do. per their video:

1. not intended to block you from the wind (he said get a car if you want that).
2. intended to smooth out the air. still get the wind in your face but without all the buffeting. In restrospect, I believe it does this well, but I personnaly prefer the wind bubble to be pushed just over my head (buffeting or not). Especially if touring and expectiong to be riding in rain for extended periods.

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFAo6zCHzA

I missed where you are, but I have the Klock Werks shield bubble wrapped in my garage. If you are near buy, I'd surely let you try it out. oh and I'm 5' 9".

I'm the big guy - 6'3" - 36" inseam. Anyway, if you want a short shield and no wind/buffeting, stick w/ a stock or tall aftermarket shield. I agree with Brian; his shield redirects the wind, nothing more.

I run an 18" Cee Bailey when touring but when carving mountain roads in SD or here at home in NM, I throw my 8" KW on - I like the way you can easily see what is in front of you and, yes, the wind in my face. I like to ride my bike hard and test the tire sidewalls - the short shields allow me to do so with more confidence - my 2

Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 6,1 running a 12 " KW flare. Not bad, and the look is good. I do get buffing wearing a full face helmet. Under 75MPH it great , freeway speeds=can't hear the radio. Like others have said ,You can't return them so good luck on your results.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
oley55
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
What size shield was your klockwerks
not sure where/how to measure, 16" maybe

Quick Reply: Klockwerks Windshield Advice