Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY got rid of the squeal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 PM
sandpa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the automotive parts industry and servicing many front end and brake shops, the noise you hear is vibration (from fit and finish). I had a little over 1,000 miles on my bike when the noise monster hit me. I removed the rear pads cleaned all mounting parts and applied the the brake pad gum on the back and used caliper grease on the pins. 6,000 miles on bike now with no squel from OEM pads. Caliper grease and brke pad gum is availible at any parts house.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandpa
Being in the automotive parts industry and servicing many front end and brake shops, the noise you hear is vibration (from fit and finish). I had a little over 1,000 miles on my bike when the noise monster hit me. I removed the rear pads cleaned all mounting parts and applied the the brake pad gum on the back and used caliper grease on the pins. 6,000 miles on bike now with no squel from OEM pads. Caliper grease and brke pad gum is availible at any parts house.

I haven't tried the caliper grease. I have used the brake anti squeal from Permatex, (auto supply), that lasts for a few hundred miles but the squeal comes back. I'm going to go back to the OEM brakes and try the HD fix. Usually just about the time I begin to feel good about my latest fix the noise comes back. That's why I'm asking how long has the fix lasted when guys say they have fixed the squeal.

Thanks for all the replies though. I'll keep checking this post along with anything I try that seems to finally work.

Ratkiller

Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I have about 1,500 mi on the bike since I replaced the pads and they still don't squeal. Have to say, whatever the MOCO did with the replacement pads has worked. I still don't understand why the Lydalls polished the rotor like they did. I'm a happy camper now without the squeal.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokindave
Was beginning to think I was cursed with squealing rear brakes forever. I had switched to Lydall Z brake pads and thought this would stop my squealing, didn't help. All the Lyndall pads did was squeal and make my rotors shine like having been polished. Having been through every other fix known, I went back to HD Brembo brakes. What I didn't know was Harley has since made changes to the replacement pads. First off the locator pin is larger diameter and second is the paste that comes with the kit.

The paste is put on using a temporary mask (with 2 holes where the pistons are) that is put on the back side. Then you apply the paste to the area in the mask where the 2 holes are, using the supplied scraper to remove the excess paste. Remove the temporary mask and carefully reinstall pads being carefull not to get paste anywhere else. Went for a ride and no more squeal and the brakes worked like new. Also saw that my rotor where the pads run had started to lose that polished look and after a few more miles the rotors looked like they should look.

Have to say, I am very happy to have solved this squealing but, I am disappointed that the expensive Lyndall pads did not solve the squealing, in fact they polished my rotors while giving less stopping ability.
Well after about 450 miles I'll report that smokindave's solution to the dreaded brake squeal seems to have been the answer. Kudos smokindave Thanks for your post.

Funny thing was the HD dealer parts guy didn't seem to know about this kit and tried to give me the stock OEM brake pads. When I insisted that there might be a fix for the problem he looked and saw that there was another number for the upgrade.

So far so good.

Ratkiller

Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

I switched back to OEM pads because I didnt care for the Lydall Zs feel, especially in the rain. Now, floating rotors on the front with NO paste. Stock rotor on rear WITH paste, no squealing for over 3000 miles.
Fingers crossed.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have atleast 5000 miles since my rear pads were changed and the paste applies and no squeell since. I was very happy, I did think it sucks that Harley wanted I think $50 for the kit especially since all the 08s squeaked like there was no tommorrow

Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I just replaced mine last night. It took longer to apply the copper grease then it did to do the rest of the job.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 PM
hognut
5th Gear

My 09 ultra had a squeal it quit when I was leaving a rest area somewhere in South Dakota... when I realized I left HER at the rest area I had to go back, the squealing got worse. true story. You can take them any where in the world after a while they start to forget about the trip, But leave them in a rest area one time and they will remember that forever.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:45 PM
BobbedOutFXBB2020
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lyndall responded and they are sending me replacement pads for front and back. They said they should be lasting longer than 4,500 miles. They said I need to check alignment on bike, pistons and caliper. I told them everything is checking out good. But let's see how long these new ones last.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:16 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

If you’re gonna resurrect an old thread to bring in the New Year…might as well do it right and dig up a finely aged 11 year old plus thread.
Well done!!