Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape's install cost's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Rambone1570
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape's install cost's

Alright, I'm pretty settled on what I'm looking for. I'm going with the carlini 16in gangster apes at 1.25. This will allow me to use my stock switches. My question is besides the clutch and brake cables and new chrome levers, what else is necessary ? and if I take this stuff to harley how much should it cost to install (not internally wired) ? and does anyone know someone reputable in So.Cal. that does it for less ? any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2010, 06:36 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser

Plan on 600+ for parts and depending on the bike 4-6 hours labor. or right around 1000 bucks at least that is from an indy. From a dealer, at least around here, they quote 1400+ to change bars.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:44 AM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses
Thumbs up

...xtreme hit it bout right on the head. My advice is 2 save urself the dinero and getcha a service manual....jump right in. No better way 2 get 2 ur ride. It's nuttin 2 complicated and u'll appreciate it that much more.

4 all the correct parts/measurements....holla at Johnny Vaughn @ HDbikeparts.com He's the owner and has the hook up on all things ape

Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on both replies...i was charged 5 hours labor + parts. Total was just over 1100.00. When I put apes on my 05 RG I did it myself and have to say it took all weekend. It was pretty easy but very time consuming and parts were around 600. I choose to pay to have it done on the 09..;-)))

Old 03-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do it in 3-4 hrs, maybe a little longer cause is your first time....but after you do, you will kick your self for thinking of paying someone that kind of cash to do it.... piece of cake

Last edited by Pork-Chop; 03-20-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM
SE7EN
Intermediate

Install will also vary depending on bike in most cases. It will take a little longer to do fairing bikes versus RK's, etc. The install is fairly straight forward, if you are having it done becuase your intimidated, dont be. Jump right in; its good to know your bike... I have found in the past 6 months I have learned more by asking advice on forums and with friends and then trying it then I have for all the years riding. When you work on your bike you grow a new attachment to it and from what I can tell; tend to appreciate them more and take better care of them (maint., adjustments, etc).
Misc Maint used to be a pain in my **** (or so I felt); now I look forward to it.
To do apes, you need clutch cable, idle & throttle cables and front brake lines & with 16s youll definately need to extend your wires..
All of this is easy; just remember, you will have to pull the clutch cover off to install clutch cable (and remove exhaust to get to it). Just a little time consuming but WELL worth it!

BTW Porkchop; LOVE the car in your Avitar! Kick ***!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
joewg3
Tourer

I put on 14" Wild 1's. I bought my bars off of eBay. Great seller and I would recommend them to anyone. Let me know if you want the guys name. I bought my cables from Dr. V-Twin from here on the forum. Call Shuan and tell him your bike specs and they figure out the cable length. Received mine in 2 days. They have a shop in LA so I would check to see if they would do it. If I lived out there I would have gladly paid them to do the work. Excellent folks.

Here's my breakdown:

$379 - bars, chrome controls/switches, chrome levers, prewired
$350ish - all cables - throttle, idle, clutch, and dual brake lines. Some are cheaper. I bought the good stuff.
$30 (I think) - poly bar mount bushings. Replaces the rubber mounts so your bars don't have 1-2" of play. A must have in my opinion.

$10 - tranny fluid
$10 - tranny gasket
Patience - priceless

If you don't have a service manual GET ONE. The total time of my install was probably around 6-7 hours as stated by others. If I had to do it again that time would drop dramatically (maybe by half). If you have the crossover pipe then figure on a bit more time because I think you need to either loosen it or remove it to take off the tranny cover. I have TDs so my came right off. I took the time to change my fluids while I had everything apart. Bleeding my brakes was probably the biggest pain, which isn't too bad. If the bars aren't prewired or if you're not just buying a wire extension you'll need to buy new pins for the connectors. There is a very good pdf listed here on the forum on installing new handlebars that gives great graphics, etc for the wiring and some excellent tips.

#1 most important thing in my opinion if doing this yourself? Padding or a stack of towels on your fender and tank! #2 is Patience, which is why #1 is so important.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Rambone1570
Novice

Hey many thanks to all who took the time to respond. I don't know if I'm intimidated at the thought of doing the work, I think it's the strong possibility of not being able to finish in a timely fashion. I'm sure most of you have these inconvenient things called a job, and it doesn't seem to care about what I got going on ! not to mention baseball practice, gymnastics (kids,not me). For a thousand bucks, and be able to have my ride quickly, it's worth it. BTW, anybody have a quality indy in So.Cal ? preferably in the L.A. area. Thanks again for all the input appreciate it.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local Hd dealer quoted me right at 1k. That was for the bars, stainless steel braided cables, fluids and labor. That was for internal wiring also. They usually do 20% off handlebar jobs in the winter time, so I may end up waiting till next year to do it.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:57 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

I think I ended paying $700 for all the parts. Don't be scared......you can do it. I know no one cares but I like bragging about doing the job myself.

Quick Reply: Ape's install cost's