Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

touring tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010 | 12:05 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I always run the max on the sidewall.
NO! Never!! run what the manual recommends for your loading! There are two things keeping your a$$ off the pavement and that is your front and rear tire. Never run the max. If your load requires the max. you are running the wrong tire!

Old 03-20-2010 | 12:51 AM
2007SG
Advanced

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
I just got my tires changed and the shop said i might need to put some more air in there because as the tire breaks in, it expands some more. Im goin on a trip early and i need to know what my front and rear tire pressure should be. They are factory spec 16 inch rims.
Lots of opinions and I go by the tire fracture rating - recommendation. My experience with tires is a little more air pressure is always better then less. Check them cold and unless you are loading them to the max a few pounds ether way should not matter. Rim size is not the factor you have to check tire manufacture rating.

New tires you should check air pressure to to make sure. I have not heard of needing extra air because of break in? JMHO

Old 03-20-2010 | 12:51 AM
Trek
Tourer

36 front and 40 rear on the stock tires. Anything less in the rear tire resulted in heat cracks when running two up in the southern parts of thee USA. (3 different tires, 2 different ultra's) Switched to Avon and that seems to fix the problem.

I am anxious to see how the tires work out that come on the newer Ultra's.

Old 03-20-2010 | 12:53 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member

I have found 38 front/ 40 rear works the best for me on the SG.

Old 03-20-2010 | 08:02 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

you should definetely run air in your tires. i wouldn't get too freaked out about exact pressures, I bet most folks who say "38 front 40 rear" or whatever....... hardly ever check their pressures.....

that being said..... when ya get new rubber check the pressure every time you head out for a bit, just to make sure there's no leaks. Personally i try to stay a few psi below max pressure that's listed on the sidewall, unless I'm fully loaded then I aim for max.

generally once I know a tire is not leaking I'll give a visual every time i get on the bike and check once a week.....

Old 03-20-2010 | 08:26 PM
bfrank
Tourer

I have the '10 SG and the manual says look at the sidewall on the tire unless I am not seeing it stashed somewhere else in the manual. I have the stock tires and the front says max 41 and the back max 42. I set both to 40 today and they felt good. Before I filled them they were both at 30.

Old 03-20-2010 | 08:28 PM
Kumite
Tourer

40/41 for me on my road glide. it is always better to be a little on the high side (no more than the max sidewall pressure) than on the low side. better milage, safer and better wear patterns/

But to each his own

R. todd

Old 03-21-2010 | 11:08 AM
S1 4 Life
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BeeRAD56
NO! Never!! run what the manual recommends for your loading! There are two things keeping your a$$ off the pavement and that is your front and rear tire. Never run the max. If your load requires the max. you are running the wrong tire!
He's sooo right! These guys running Metzler tires and putting 50 Psi in a 42 max Psi tire to get the bike to handle right is stupid!

Old 03-21-2010 | 11:23 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Go with owners manual its always in your best interest regardless what brand of vehicle you drive for your safety and liability of the manufacturer.

Old 03-21-2010 | 11:23 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer

Avons, running 40/40 with a 150 on the rear. Reccommended pressures by a Champion Racer, so he should know something about tire pressures and tires. Never had a problem.

Quick Reply: touring tire pressure?