Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock brakes dipped chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 PM
bobby5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock brakes dipped chrome?

I was looking on ebay and a guy has some oem brembo brakes chromed for $400 and you get $150 if you send yours back. I was just wondering if you guys think i should save and get the $850 Harley chrome brakes or those chrome ones the guys selling on ebay? Also doe anybody sell a chrome Harley badge thats in the brakes? I was thinking about just getting the chrome screens and that badge if somebody sold them.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Harley's stock rotors are just ugly. Chromed or not. I went with the teardrop rotors in chrome, I'm happy. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get something prettier than the stock stuff.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:17 PM
bobby5
Tourer

i agree with ya there but i was talking about the brake calipers

Old 03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I ordered the HD chrome Brembo calipers from LSHD 2 weeks ago shipped to my door for $659. I saw the ones on Ebay but I heard that folks have had problems chroming the Brembos so I figured that the extra cost of the ones fom HD would be a safer bet.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby5
i agree with ya there but i was talking about the brake calipers
Oops, the tequila has me seeing things.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree Harleys stock tires aren't the purdiest!
Couldn't help it El Ray - hope you found it funny in your tequilla daze!!

As far as buying brakes on Ebay, 2 things:
1) They were probably a used take off set (at best) that were chromed.
B. You don't know the condition of the pistons, bores, and seals. I'm sure you could get 50 to 100K miles out of a properly maintained set. But you won't really know where the Ebay set came from.

My philosophy, in the safety department, would I really want to trust someone who may not be around tomorrow? Nope!
However - if they'll chrome yours it'll take that variable out of the equation.
Then you just have to worry about their prep work.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was looking on ebay and a guy has some oem brembo brakes chromed for $400 and you get $150 if you send yours back. I was just wondering if you guys think i should save and get the $850 Harley chrome brakes or those chrome ones the guys selling on ebay? Also doe anybody sell a chrome Harley badge thats in the brakes? I was thinking about just getting the chrome screens and that badge if somebody sold them.

Thanks
I picked up a set of OEM Harley Brembos on E-bay for $150.00 (new take off's HD dealer 0 miles)and plan to have them chromed locally. My guy gets $45.00 a 1/2 for the calipers, so $180.00 for the set. I will still have my original set. My chrome guy can polish the stainless steel screens so they look as if they were chromed. polishing might be a cheaper way to go if you go that route. The HD dealer should have the inserts for the calipers. Personally I have a pair of Willie G Skull chrome hat pins, I will cut the pins off of and glue those in, perfect size 3/4". Another $35.00 for 2 sets of chrome bolts and bleeders and I'm all set. Just throwing out some ideas if they help. I think too if you reread that E-bay auction you'll see that, that $150.00 is a deposit you get back when you send your calipers back, so your out of pocket $550.00 till the refund. I could be mistaken, but all of the auctions I saw trying to find the set I got, were exchange only. The out right sale of chrome calipers were much higher. Good luck, no hurry right?

NATE

Last edited by BAGGERNATE; 03-19-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM
bobby5
Tourer

I was just thinking that dippin brakes theres alot of little parts for that chrome to get into and i think stuff like your brake pads and stuff like that wouldnt go in properly. Im not sure thats why im askin to see if anybody had any experience with them.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Thanks
Personally, I think the black caliper with chrome screens (can get from any dealer) and chrome caliper bolts (Gardiner-Wescott) look real nice and offers a nice contrast.
Couldnt see spending that kind of money for chrome calipers.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 PM
WhiteGoldSG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had mine shaved and show chromed by chromemasters. I did the dis-assembly and re-assembly. Look awesome. Just BEWARE, the brembos ARE NOT rebuildable. You CAN NOT get new seals for them (not easily anyway). You MUST keep all the original seals to rebuild them when they come back from chrome. Oh yeah, and they will need to be cleaned inside really well.

Quick Reply: stock brakes dipped chrome?