Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil-drain catcher

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my last oil change, I used the HD Oil Catcher and it worked great! I have the HD Oil Cooler, if that makes a difference.

I think the trick in using the Oil Catcher is to keep it tight against the base where the oil filter screws on. I was pushing on the oil catcher with one hand while I was unscrewing the oil filter with the other. It really worked for me.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Even if just a small amount of oil drips when your changing your filter, you still got the same clean up. Thus, I use nothing and just give it a good clean up.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM
firefightermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to hijack this thread. Picking up my new streetglide tommorow, but what do yall use to clean the oil off the motor mount without damaging them. I'm doing my own maintenance. Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

cardboard, coke bottle trick & foil have all worked fer me.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by firefightermike
Don't want to hijack this thread. Picking up my new streetglide tommorow, but what do yall use to clean the oil off the motor mount without damaging them. I'm doing my own maintenance. Thanks
They use a certain brand of break cleaner, read earlier posts on this tread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used that HD fancy oil catcher 3 different times on 3 different bikes and am just about ready to run it over with my car. Still makes a mess. Helps some if the bike is on the jiffy stand. The only one worth the money, IMO, is the primary funnel, that does work well.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM
cp1
Cruiser

I use the cardboard from a 24 pack cut to go around filter and drain into catch pan.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Sketz
Cruiser

I gave up using most of the methods mentioned. What works best for me with a minimal mess is stuffing a bunch of paper towels underneath the filter and letting them absorb most of the oil - they really seem to do the job for me - just be sure to use a thick wad of paper so that they wont get over saturated!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I hate to say it, but when I do the service, I always plan to wash the bike.... I put the bike up on my Handy lift table the night before, pull all three holes and drain them overnight. The next morning, I remove the filter and really don't spill much oil. Once the filter is removed, I wipe down the oil I can see and replace the filter. Replace the rest, moved form the table and hose off the motor S100. Never had a problem. I guess the cardboard, bags, bottles aren't a bad idea, just seams like extra work. As far as punching a hole in the filter... I think you would still lose some oil and run the risk up damaging something or cutting your hand..... Just my 2 cents.

Be Safe JIM

Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and like everyone else says oil filter catcher not perfect but makes it somewhat better. you have to cut it or notch it some way to fit on certain bikes so read the directions. The primary funnel is great! I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I see people complain about this all the time when draining the tranny that it spills sll over the crossmember and frame. I found that if I drain it while in wheel chock and the bike totaly vertical.... Not a drop anywhere but the oil pan.

Quick Reply: Oil-drain catcher