Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil-drain catcher

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Using the orange drain thingy.....Loosen the filter just enough to break it loose from the mount (so you can turn it by hand), punch a hole at the 6 & 12 o'clock position (top for venting purposes). Make sure bike is on the kick stand. Let filter drain until nothing comes out of the bottom hole. Unscrew filter until top hole is on the bottom, more oil will come out. Once it stops draining, remove the filter all together. You may get a drip or two but that's about it. This works for me....

Old 10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I have all three of the pictured items, except my funnel is yellow that I bought at some store somewhere years ago but is identical to the Harley one. The funnel works great filling the engine and trans oil and the clip on piece for the primary fill also works great.

However the oil filter funnel is completely useless. I have an oil cooler so I cannot get the funnel pushed up far enough. I also tried it on a friends bike without a cooler and it still leaked oil all over the engine. The far end of it is L cut for some reason and thats where the oil runs out all over the engine. Like another poster stated the hose drops off super easy also. The best method I have found is shove a cheap Walmart paper plate up under the filter and let the oil run down that.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried any of the plastic gadgets or funnels. I did find that I could fold up a newspaper, wrap it around the filter, work it up to the fillter mount leaving the other end slightly bent upward and supported by the frame. I stuff another piece under the end for good measure. When I loosen the filter the oil leaks out onto the paper, and if I work fast enough, not much spills out of the filter. The newspaper is pretty effective at soaking up most of the spillage, and when I'm done I just pull it out, fold it up and throw it away. No spillage on the frame or the floor!

I have found it is much easier to get to if I take the lowers off of the bike (it's an Ultra), but it's not too bad with the lowers on.

The paper I use is the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, by the way...not the biggest name in the business, but it makes a great drop-cloth!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

I do kinda like you do with the newspaper, but with a piece of cardboard. Just fold it u shaped, unscrew the filter and get it out. Put the new one on. Cardboard soaks a lot of oil.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
I bought both. The Primary filler and the Oil catcher thing-a-mabob.

The Primary filler works awesome. Worth it.
The Oil catcher thing...not so well. You are going to have oil at the seal dripping down no matter what you do. It still gets all over the front of the engine and engine mounts.

I had two bikes to do and used it both times. What works the best is to punch a hole in the end of the filter, top and bottom and let it drain for 30 minutes.
Less oil all over everything. You'll never hurt the engine punching a little hole in a stinking oil filter... I'm saying use an actual "punch" folks. Not a sledge hammer.

lp
I bought the oil catcher too. Freaking...don't get me started, still had to clean the front of the engine, the floor and then clean this POS piece of plastic...Save your coin..

Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i used a piece of poster board covered in plastic (gasket packaging)stuffed under the filter like a ramp to the drain pan,, didnt leak a drop

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Alright, that settles it. I'm going to try the punch idea next time and will buy the primary thingie. I'll punch the filter at the top (gently), drill it, rotate 180°, then repeat. What may be the key factor is waiting for the thing to drain, including whatever is coming from the engine. I can do the tranny and primary while waiting for that.
Agrred. the primary filler is wasome. i just stuff rags under the filter and use degreaser and hose when finished

Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
RodeDawg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DWhite
a piece of cardboard rolled up under the oil filter works best for me. It is cheap too!
Yup, just take the oil filter box and open it up at the glued seam. Tear off the two segments that stick out to the side. You now have a 4 segment piece of cardboard. Roll it a bit concave and slide it up under the filter and go to work. It's the perfect length and you always have one handy. Is it going to catch everything? No. I doubt anything will. But it works really well and you already bought it!

BTW, to get any of the drips off the frame below - spray with brake cleaner and then with water. Easy clean up.

Last edited by RodeDawg; 10-02-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aluminum Foil. Molds to any shape.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used mine this weekend on my 2010 limited. it was a gift so what the heck. no its not perfect, but worked just fine. trick for me was to let the oil in the pan drain for a long time. then still setup a towel underneath the plastic and punch holes. wait a while longer and take off filter. some oil still got on rag, but overall - pretty good.

tin

Quick Reply: Oil-drain catcher