Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil-drain catcher

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofer
As for the primary, I like the looks for that funnel. But this forum has showed me the light, and filling the primary through the inspection cover is MUCH easier!
Alas, '07 and later bikes have no inspection cover.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
MIbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling primary

I just changed the fluids in my bike this weekend. I noticed the same problem with filling the primary little to no room and no inspection cover anymore. I took the little spout end off the quart of Mobil 1 gear oil and put it on my (regular) quart of formula+. It is not a perfect fit but if it is not over tightened will not leak.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the hole-in-the-oil-filter trick and still got oil all over the chassis when I took the filter off. Simplest solution is to use a pice of thin cardboard or even stiff paper, 8.5 x 11, folded lengthwise to make a crease, then opened up and slid under the filter. Loosen filter. The oil follows the crease into my drain pan. Then throw the cardboard away after.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the oil filter removal, I've always had good luck with a good o'le 2 liter pop bottle cut just like this.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Tried the oil catcher, and made a mess with it too. Guess we are doomed at each oil changing.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
CroK
Banned

I used a piece of aluminum flashing, bent in a U shape to fit under the filter, which extends beyond the frame to drain into a pan below. And another piece placed in the derby cover bowed out just a tad. No fuss, no muss. When pulling the primary outer cover, a long piece of flashing bent over the frame slanting out and down with a small crease to direct the oil where my pan sits... Works for me!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
DWhite
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a piece of cardboard rolled up under the oil filter works best for me. It is cheap too!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the oil cooler,always a mess.I spray it down with the weaker brake clean when done.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
I tried most of the idea's to keep oil off the mount. Finally just started punching a hole in the top and one in the bottom and let it drain out the best it will. The unscrew the filter and clean up the mess. I also fill my primary through the inspection plate, no mess no fuss.

Joe
Ditto that. Punch and clean works just fine. Filling the primary through the inspection hole works best, unless you are doing a clutch adjustment at the same time. Just find the primary capacity, drain and fill the proper amount.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 PM
bikefxds
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

meveratt has the right idea. Do you eat cereal? I cut a cereal box. Right at the corner, the natural crease is perfect. I cut the box top to bottom about 2" from the crease. Then on the side panel part I cut that top to bottom about 1" from the crease. This gives me a long funnel type piece of thin cereal box material, with the crease already there. Then I slide this up under the filter putting the 1" side toward the engine. I have a regular filter wrench that fits on the end of my rachet extension. A couple of turns with that and the oil starts to flow. I then finish turning the filter with my fingers till it drops onto the cereal box filter where I can remove it. Sometimes there is a drip that gets by, but it you're careful, 9 times out of 10 it will be dripless.

Quick Reply: Oil-drain catcher