Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil-drain catcher

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used the empty soda bottle with great success............until I got an oil cooler.
Now its a mess every time and none of the "devices" work. Because of the oil cooler mount you can not get under the lip of the filter.
It totally sucks, I am a clean freak when it comes to my bike so a 20 minute oil/filter change takes me two hours when you include the cleanup.

Doug

PS: Tryed the hole in the filter method also, it helped but still a mess.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I bought both. The Primary filler and the Oil catcher thing-a-mabob.

The Primary filler works awesome. Worth it.
The Oil catcher thing...not so well. You are going to have oil at the seal dripping down no matter what you do. It still gets all over the front of the engine and engine mounts.

I had two bikes to do and used it both times. What works the best is to punch a hole in the end of the filter, top and bottom and let it drain for 30 minutes.
Less oil all over everything. You'll never hurt the engine punching a little hole in a stinking oil filter... I'm saying use an actual "punch" folks. Not a sledge hammer.
Alright, that settles it. I'm going to try the punch idea next time and will buy the primary thingie. I'll punch the filter at the top (gently), drill it, rotate 180°, then repeat. What may be the key factor is waiting for the thing to drain, including whatever is coming from the engine. I can do the tranny and primary while waiting for that.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadharley2
Dang....bought the piece for the primary fill and forgot all about the VPC. Oh well just more junk sitting on the shelf
You would think the VPC would hit on the derby cover if the funnel won't fit?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take a plastic katchup bottle cut in half fit's in crank hole & great for the car & truck .Oil fill holes .works a lil faster than a funnel. i know you guy's are draining .I'm on the top side .

Last edited by BLACK BAGGER; 03-18-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I got suckered in to buying all three of the things. The Night Train's due for a change, the Limited will be in a few weeks. Hopefully it's less messy than the "tin foil method".

Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Alright, that settles it. I'm going to try the punch idea next time and will buy the primary thingie. I'll punch the filter at the top (gently), drill it, rotate 180°, then repeat. What may be the key factor is waiting for the thing to drain, including whatever is coming from the engine. I can do the tranny and primary while waiting for that.
Also forgot to mention... the hose that comes with the oil-catcher, it barely fits. It's not very tight.
Mine slipped off a few times letting oil run all over the place. Glue that puppy on before you go to use it.

Place oil catcher under filter and punch holes in it, let oil drain for like 30 minutes.
Remove oil catcher.
Spin off filter pressing a towel under the filter near the front to catch oil coming out behind filter seal.
Wipe up oil/dirt on engine filter facing and install the new oil filter all in about 10 seconds.

Works well for me. Good luck!

lp

Last edited by lp; 03-18-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a fiberglass drain 'funnel' for lack of a better term off eBay, worked pretty after I modified/fitted it a little to fit inside the frame next to the voltage regulator. It drips some when I go to take it out but not as bad as the soda bottle trick I tried first. I am almost to the point of trying the MoCo cartridge filter unit where the can stays on the bike and the lid comes off to replace the element.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I came across this "form a funnel" thought it was pretty innovative. I havent ordered one yet but will be before my next oil change.
http://www.formafunnel.com/

Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I have tried most of those methods and it is impossible to get every drop because there is no way to get any device, gimmick, or invention or other ideas completely under the filter and or flat against the plate the filter is screwed against. If Harley would have just give us anykind of lip on that plate, we could make most of these ideas work.

For me, I get the most oil by using the plastic bag method (gallon size), but that requires patience and a little dexterity. Lowers may make it impossible, but I sure would try. The bag works even better is you punch the hole and drain it first leaving less oil collecting in the bag, which is the second best way to get most of the oil. As for punching a hole, I use a pointed center punch, so it requires almost no force to punch a holel, but a drill would make quick work as well.

Not meaning to change the subject, but someone mentioned a couple weeks ago in a different discussion that the filter placement is not good for the Harley engine and suggested no filter would be just as good if not better. What was his rational on that suggestion again?

Beary

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I simply looked at the mess shugged my shoulders and said "It's a Harley what do I expect!". Then I cleaned up the mess with blue towels.

Quick Reply: Oil-drain catcher