Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Street Glide - Really Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go wild to mild to fix your bike.

OEM shocks (ultra/road king) on ebay $100
new wind shield bemp from clearview 10.5" smoked $87
New slip on HD night stick $220

Oh and if you get the Road King you will still spend money on slip on's.
If you are looking for a stiffer ride maybe you should try a softail.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Trishi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unome
As far as making the ride a little less smooth, maybe some engine upgrades with a cam could help there. But my wife & I both love the smoothness of the newer bikes.
You are correct in the cost involved with chaning out the exhaust... doable but really pricey.

I think too, we are used to a carbureator as opposed to the new fuel injection. As I said, we did order a new winshield last night, and I'm hoping that takes care of the wind issue.

Maybe I'm just panicking because it's something totally different.. I don't know. I guess we'll put the new windshield on and ride some more and see how we feel. Again, no offene to anyone who has a SG. It's a great bike.. just wasn't what I was expecting.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
bfrank
Tourer

Along with the windsheild I like riding with these. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

What slip-on did you put on?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father in-law went from a deuce to a street glide and if he had a choice he would switch back in a second. He just loved his deuce and was super comfortable on it. The glide is bigger, heavier (especially top heavy) bike that he got mainly because mom-in-law wanted more comfort. The one thing he has not done is ride the bike enough by himself. I think he's only ridden it once on his own since he purchased it. I think the added weight and responsibility of having a passenger on the bike makes him uneasy and I know my mother-in-law can sense it. Makes riding uneasy for both of them. Maybe you just need to let your husband get some solo saddle time to build up his comfort/confidence with the new bike. Trust me if he is feeling uneasy on the bike so will you. Now please don't think I am trying to say your husband isn't a good rider or can't handle the bike. Just saying like most new thing it takes some practice getting used to.

Everything else can be fixed...hell you can even buy some super stiff shocks to make the ride less comfortable

Last edited by clarkchriston; 03-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would like to respond..
#1. Wind buffeting is a windshield thing. Change it to the proper size for the amount of wind buffeting you are looking for
#2. Regarding the smoothness of the ride. Hmmm... You bought a Street GLIDE. I would assume the glide has some sort of meaning. Just a heads up.. the Road GLIDE also has the word glide in it.
#3. It doesn't sound like a Harley. Well... tell me which brand new Harley sounds like a Harley. Thats why 95% of the Harley's out on the road have different pipes on them. Most of the new ones don't even leave the dealership with stock pipes.
#4. You will hear this alot. Its called TEST RIDE. DEMO, whatever you want to call it.
Since the backseat rider is the one posting the complaint I need to ask.. did you test ride the bike with your hubby? If so... why did you buy it? If not... stop complaining.
I compare this to the person who bought a pair of shoes without trying them on and then complaining that they are uncomfortable . Jeez....
My personal opinion is that if you hate your brand new Street Glide there is nothing you can do to make it better. But if you do want to modify it I would suggest the following..
Larger windshield and lowers, change the rear shocks out to something really heavy duty or load them up with as much air as they can handle, change your pipes to Reinhards with competition baffles. That should take care of it.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, so you want a rough riding less windy motorcycle?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Trishi
1st Gear

I didn't realize that by posting in this forum I would get such a "cool" reception from most of you. Geesh ~ I was just being honest about what I'm feeling and my experience so far and some of you want to burn me at the stake. I thought that by posting in a HD forum, I would run into alot of understanding. With a few exceptions, I guess not. I stated twice that I'm NOT crackign on the SG. I'm just stating my own personal preferences and asking in your opinion, what to do.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MassHD
new wind shield bemp from clearview 10.5" smoked $87
I think you will find that a 10" windshield will be right in your line of sight. Go either 8" or 12". I guess some of it is what bike you came from. Wind buffeting compared to my old Shadow, the Electraglide is like being in the car with the windows up.

I always thought the SG had a lower and more stiffer ride than the other touring bikes. Can't imagine it is too soft

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Adding the lower fork baffle will reduce the buffeting, also the adjustable wings for the fairing will allow you to control the wind.

Put some miles on it, your '99 was broken in. Things (like motor mounts) loosen up over time.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have to agree with the op on the wind issue with the stock shield. I couldn't keep glasses on my face above 60 mph with the stock shield. I did however like looking over the shield instead of through it.

I bought an 8" and 10" fastaire shield. The 10" cured the buffetting problem on my face, but I was looking half through it and half over it. The 8" was the perfect height for my vision. I then bought an 8" clearview and my windshield problems are solved.

All the 2010 touring models are going to sound the same until the exhaust is changed to suit your needs.

My wife complained about the ride being too harsh. I ended up putting olins shocks on it to smooth the ride out for her.

I will be the first to admit my SG took more mods to make me and my wife comfortable than my heritage did, but now that it's over, I wouldn't want to go back to a softail.

Dennis

Quick Reply: 2010 Street Glide - Really Disappointed