Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley being bought out??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think the unions caused this current situation but their unwillingness to make concessions when some are needed will definitely effect Harley-Davidson's financial well being and might very well cause their failure.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only time will tell what will happen. I hope for all it works out in the end and no more jobs are lost for the workers.

T

Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not blaming unions or US workers. When you have children and uneducated people in other countries for a labor force, that's where the work is going to go. Of course those people can also come here and live for free if the want and not even work. I blame our politicians, NOT US workers and or unions.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
mudsnark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck1: gotta agree with you. I am not a tea party type guy, but this reckless spending and printing money like drunken sailor is killing me, not to mention what it will do to future generations!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Roadman56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the economy was better we would probably would not have this thread to contribute to. We would be talking about new mods. or rides.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the rumors pop up every year or two. remember two years ago when harley was supposed to have been bought out by honda? i thought it was interesting that the time period occurred at the first of april. april fools, anyone?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Crusing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well….we all love our Harley’s and I hope that nothing happens to lessen this great American icon. That being said these are tough economic times that can bring about drastic change. Let’s face it, we now live in an international economy and the competition is fierce. If consumers can not or will not pay the premium to pay union wages to American workers then something has to give. While I do not believe that unions truly look out for the best interest for there members, they do provide a balance in industry. There is a long history in the decline in the power of unions which will continue in the foreseeable future. The bottom line is that there is an ongoing global equalization in the standard of living which is having a negative impact on the U.S. Unfortunately Harley Davidson is just one more corporation caught in this vise.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 653 Likes on 520 Posts

ill never bash a 15$hour union guy when the top 20 execs are draggon home millions.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Trust me, I want Harley to succeed. I own a 2003 Fatboy with every accessory and piece of chrome they ever offered in the P&A catalogue. I just bought a 2010 SE Ultra and upgraded the engine etc. That last thing I want is to see any worker (even the executives) get harmed. But the facts are the facts and H-D's financials are beyond dismal. Read them for yourself directly from the company if you have any doubts http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...9&history=news

Unfortunately the business model of using their customer's garages and basements and attics to store original factory parts is coming to end. There's absolutely no reason a guy that just want's an basic Ultra but want's a 110 motor shouldn't be able to buy it that way from the factory without having to store the parts from the original engine in his basement.

Why shouldn't you be able to order a bike with a chrome front end instead of upgrading and storing the factory parts in the basement? Just so the dealers can benefit? I don't think so. What other industry treats their customer's like this?

How many of you have take off parts from the modern car you bought in your basement?

The business model, the comp. for the workers and the strategies of the executives will be changing. The question is whether the current management and workers are up to the task or if a PE firm will be needed to shake them up in order to force these changes on them?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I just bought a 2010 SE Ultra and upgraded the engine etc.
........ i know in the good Book somewhere is sez 'thou shalt not envy thy neighbor, or thy neighbor's scooter' ......
....... ......... ...... yer makin' it real hard here, bro. ..... my, my that's an exciting lookin' ride.

Quick Reply: Harley being bought out??