Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley being bought out??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM
txrancher47
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is hard for Harley to compete considering the cost of the bike, the Dealers refusal to discount there bikes, the weather and the state of the economy. I called the dealers in NY and they all are selling last years bike for suggested retail. One dealership would not give me a quote or quoted me suggested retail.

Warren Buffet owns I believe 400 million dollars in bonds issued by Harley, so Harley isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heatwave what is the least wage that you personally can live on. I live in an area in N. GA. that relies heavily on the textile industry. The average wage is something like 13 or 14 dollars and hour. that translates into 26 to 28,000 roughly per year. Thats not a heckuva alotta money these days. Textile workers probably make more in other parts of the country but the manufacturers are setting up in china and other places where it's made for very cheaply. Cheap enough that they can pay all the shipping and still make money on it. It's killing this area. I do agree with you about the unions pricing a lot of companies out of business or moving their business to the cheap labor, either way it screws up our economy.

Last edited by stafford; 03-17-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:45 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hourly wage is relative to where you live

Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Hawg
I can't agree more, the unions are pricing themselves right out of the market. I'ts unfortunate that HD's demise will be due to the union greed.
Ya, thats it....Union Greed. Really? Is it Union Greed or Harley Stupidity?

Harley signs an agrement with the union to pay the members a fair wage.

They "HARLEY" and the Uniion AGREE to this. Harley must be pretty stupid to OVER Pay its workers. Or are they?

Are you sure it isn't HARLEY greed? or could it be mis managment?

Have you seen what the CEO and the board of directors pull off the top?

Do you have all the facts? Profit margins, cost of living, etc.....

I'm not saying the Union is perfect but lets give credit were credit is due.

There is enough blame all around here.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
htrddah
Novice

I understand harley is trying to get out of york like catipiller they will not make it with the union they have harley will close and all those people will be on the unemployment line if they dont change the way they are dealing with the company economy is not going to let harley give any pay raises or more benefits its time for the money hungry unions to step aside the union has the workers thinking they are helping them while screwing over harley cant feel for them 18 yr teamster and got out no more union

Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM
htrddah
Novice

heres a fact not put you or the union down and the reason i left after 18 yrs in teamsters ok a dear freind 28 yr iron worker now 28 yrs his dues $65 a week ok 52 weeks in a years he got sick with cancer for a year he was on kemo and the other crap in the 28 years he paid the union 94640 dollars got to where he just couldnt go anymore had to take early retirement the union gave his wife 35000 dollars and a 30yr watch because he died before he could collect thats the union for ya he was 59 years old

Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
honkerdown
Tourer

Harley CEO Receives $6.4 Million Pay Package

Monday, March 15, 2010

Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell received a $6.4 million dollar pay package in less than a full year on the job.
The newest leader of American motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson, Keith Wandell, received a pay package valued at $6.4 million in 2009, according to a regulatory filing. The majority of it comes in the form of stock and option awards, which tally up to $4.9 million. His base salary, starting from May 1 and ending Dec. 31, was $650,025, to go along with a bonus of $780,030. Other compensations for the Harley CEO totaled $22,515. Not a bad chunk of change for only eight months of work.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Let me repeat....the vultures are circling. If KKR or another Private Equity firm gets their talons into HD, they will wipe out current management (or a very large portion of it), wrestle the unions to the ground and essentially eliminate their defined benefit pensions (as almost 80% of the rest of American workers have had done to them) and force union workers to move to a "defined contribution" plan like the majority of you reading this thread.

The unions have squeezed HD like a Boa Constrictor and the Executives have allowed them to do it. Tough times ahead. Not what I want or wish it to be true. Just reality. As long as there's guy's out their attacking the messenger, the problem will only get worse. Just look at what's happening in DC. In the end, the pendulum always corrects the situation... unfortunately there's usually alot of carnage left in the wake.

History is a harsh teacher:
  • 100 years ago the US was one of the top toy makers in the world - became heavily unionized - now its gone
  • 75 years ago the US was one of the top Shoe manufacturers in the world - became heavily unionized - now its gone
  • 50 years ago the US was one of if not the largest textile manufacturer - became heavily unionized - now it's mostly gone except for specialties
  • 50 years ago we were the largest manufacturer of TVs, Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Air Conditioners and just about every other appliance in your home today - they all became heavily unionized - they're all gone
  • 25 years ago we were the top auto maker in the world - became heavily unionized - now its on its death bed and will likely be gone in the next 20 years.
Look at almost any heavily unionized industry (other than mining and government workers that can't be outsourced and a few specialties like aircraft) and it has typically coincided with industries that have been wiped out or are now struggling to remain competitive. Harley Davidson is just the latest industry "trying" to get itself on this list. Folks need to wake up before it's too late.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I haven't heard anything good about unions where I live. My uncle worked at a tire plant with the union. The unions demands were too much for the company to deal with so they closed it down. I worked for a company that union and non union plants for 9 yrs. Our non-union plant had cheaper ins, bonuses, and no union fees. The union plants ins. cost was more, they didn't receive bonuses, plus they had they're fees. Hourly pay diff. was less than a dollar. But they got what the union bargained for. I currently work for a steel manufacturer without union and couldn't ask for more. The textile mills here have almost all closed down, work sent to south america for cheap labor.

Can't blame the guy for making good money like that. If they were willing to pay him, or me, or anyone else I don't think it would be turned down.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully, it's just someone trying to pump up the stock:

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost....50446928997767

Quick Reply: Harley being bought out??