Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Road King vs Street Glide

I was just wondering for you guys and girls out there on which is a more comfortable ride for long distance and over all a better bike for the $$.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I just took delivery of a new 2010 StreetGlide. Awesome bike! I have been riding a 1999 FXR2 and this is my first touring Harley. I had ridden a Road King on a week long Arizona trip and really liked it. In that both now have the same motor, same frame, same tire size, they should both deliver essentially the SAME ride. Comfort is a combination of many things as I am sure you know. The particular seat, the handlebars, seat height, etc could all contribute to a different comfort factor. The Streetglide is lowered an inch in the rear compared to the Road King. I am replacing the stock seat on my StreetGlide for a Corbin but that is just my taste. Bottem line is that I seriously doubt you would be unhappy with either bike! Good luck with your choice!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....both are very good looking bikes. I can tell you that I decided to go with the Road King Standard over the SG because I felt the King was a better bang for the buck. I thought $2k extra for a fairing and radio was too much. The aftermarket fairings have much better radios. I also knew that I wanted the rear saddlebag gaurds, passenger footboards, a comfortable seat for the wife and the some chrome on the front fender. All of which are not on the SG. I have only road a SG a few times so I can't tell you which is a better long haul ride. I would expect most will tell you that a fairing will be better for long haul but I travel with my King just fine. I really don't miss the radio because I never thought the sound was very good on motorcycles...atleast stock radios

Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 AM
robo1211
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

street glide has better weather protection, especially for the hands, and a stereo... road king has removable windshield (10 second operation) and a lot more chrome, both great bikes, very similar in basic design, it comes down to your personal choice

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like anything with a lowered suspension so that leaves the Road King for me.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of a RK as an SG convertible without a few of the additions. Personally I love the versatility of the RK but just my opinion.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
TMART
Road Master

I have the King,I put a sundowner seat,backrest,Memphis shades batwing painted to match and road rumble speakers for my I-Pod.I can stay in the saddle all day long without getting tired.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master

Added a fairing to my RK so I have the same benefits as a SG (minus the gauages). But I can also take the fairing off in 5 minutes, add the windscreen or go nekkid. Like someone said...the RK is the convertible! I can have the bike look like 6 different bikes with the configurations of solo seat, double up, fairing, windscreen, nekkid. all within 5 minutes!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
twostepct
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a Road King at work every day and own an Electra Glide. The last time I looked new SG prices were the same as an EGC. I personally was in your same position onc and decided on the ECG. I have the fairing and stereo with a tour pack, but I can take the tour pack off and have a SG-ish bike. Plus going that route you would still have the rails around the bags. Handling wise, my RK and ECG ride the same and I can do low speed manuevers on either one with ease. The RK is a great bike but for me, the EGC gets the nod for added comfort. That comfort may be music, storage and the fairing but it makes me more comfortable.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
jjr
Road Captain

Had a Street Glide and a Road King. Still have the Road King, more comfort and like the smoother ride as well as being able to take the shield off. If I need tunes I probably would go with a Dragonfly fairing with a real stereo in it not that weak POC that HD has stock in the SG fairing.

If your a taller bigger guy you probably would not like the footboards on the SG either they seem smaller then the stok ones on the RK..

Originally Posted by HarleyTrish
I was just wondering for you guys and girls out there on which is a more comfortable ride for long distance and over all a better bike for the $$.

Quick Reply: Road King vs Street Glide