Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Well I have owned both and my quick response is the RK is more comfortable off the showroom floor for long distance riding.

You have to add some money to both bikes to personalize them to your liking but out of the box for long distance riding?:

The RKC seat is ready for 2up riding where the SG really isn't a good 2up seat for long distance.

The Roadking is much more comfortable in the wind, but the SG can be made comfortable with more money.

The SG has a radio. My Ipod was fine for me on the RK, but the radio is nice.

RKC holds more stuff in the bags.

RKC classic is a softer ride.

Both bikes are very cool in their own right.

Beary

Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys....I think I am staying with my first choice of RKC. I like the look and I have rented one so I love the ride.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Would definately have to agree about the StreetGlide stock seat. It is NOT a touring seat. I have a Corbin on order. My vote is STILL with the StreetGlide for looks and overall package but there really is no BAD choice here!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
familyman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROAD KING stock for stock! Without question is a smoother ride.

But with enough money the street glide can be a clean bagger. I still want to change the rear shocks on mine.

My wife misses the RK even with the tour pak wrap around back rest. Still can feel every bump unlike the RK

Last edited by familyman; 03-16-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had both and can offer these observations. I loved my RK, but for me the gauges, stereo, and hand-protection from cold wind and rain are the deal-makers that will keep me a fairing-lover for life. As a touring bike a fairing is a big advantage, IMO.

RK, pros:

1. Removable WS.
2. Wind protection for hands (summer and dry only [minor])

RK, cons:

1. Lack of wind protection for hands (winter and rainy [not minor for me]).

SG, pros:

1. Gauges
2. Stereo
3. Wind protection for hands (winter and rainy [major advantage])

SG, cons:

1. Wind protection for hands (summer only [minor])
2. Can't remove fairing for those times when you want the wind in your face. Surprisingly I haven't missed this much.
3. Needs better and longer shocks. Easy fix, just replace them.
4. Needs a real windshield. Easy fix, just replace the 4" "wind deflector" (deflects wind into your face). Many options.
5. Cost after necessary mods.

Last edited by iclick; 03-17-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
nsodpty52
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is all about personal preference, after riding with music I'll never ride without though. Go test ride both.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I ride what I call a Super King. Which of course is a Road King with a Batwing Fairing, Stereo, Lower Fairing with locking glove boxes, Diver backrest, Sundowner seat, Street Glide rear pegs, And a tour pack(China) I have a real Harley tour pack in the paint shop.

If money wasn't a factor I probably would have purchased a Ultra but I only buy what I know I can afford and the $16,900.00 Price tag was where I needed to be. With what I had to put down and what I got them to throw in (Alarm system, 4 point docking system and a rider back rest).

I put one of the better quality E-bay fairing on and added a stereo for under $650.00 with a tach. I pick-up the lower fairings of e-bay for $250.00 with the locking glove boxes and they matched my bike color and were near perfect shape. Also theres a stage 1 kit in the bike, Power commander 5 jack pot slip-on and air cleaner.

Like other have said the advantage of a Road King is it can be almost any bike you want it be in a few min. I can be riding a bear bike in 5 min or ready for a long range ride in comfort.

Admittantly the fairing hasn't come off sence I put it on. Many say they don't want a stereo, they want to hear the engine. For those times I turn the stereo off.

It's all in what you want and can afford.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I would think that the addition of the faring, ,gages, radio, speakers and other hardware up high like it is the RK would be a better choice for a woman. I own a glide but that was mainly the choice of my sig other that had to have tunes. If I were single I would be on a king. I just like how you can change them up.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
bjpharmd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the SG is a bada$$ bike. but for my money, i went with the FLHR and have added all the other goodies over the last year. Right now the bike is stripped down to bare bones, but like others have said, i can have a full-on bagger in less than 5 minutes (quadzilla fairing, lower fairings, back rest(s), tourpack, etc. There are always deals to be had on the web for aftermarket parts. It's kinda fun too, trying to hunt down the best deals and having the parts waiting at your door when you get home from work. One downer as far as I'm concerned is the fact the stock seat seems a little wide. I'm 5'9" and I sometimes have a hard time backing out of parking spots. I need to start the bike to drive it into my garage. But once again that can be fixed with a set of progressives and a reach seat. it's addictive.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I like the RKC for what you can make it into
also a RKC can make you feel 25 years younger
LOL

Quick Reply: Road King vs Street Glide