Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel resistance....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM
gli.der
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel resistance....?

Posted this question in the help section with no response. Had bike on lift over the weekend and noticed the front wheel has alot of resistance. When I try and spin it, it rotates about half way. Is this normal? Next time your bike is lifted, check it out please. The rear turns much easier. My fuel mileage has suffered in the past month (40 now 37) about the time I swithed motor oil brands. Not sure what to pursue on this. Any suggestions would be appreciated....Thx

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any noise heard, like brake rubbing? Only two things I know of that would impede the front wheel turning are the brakes and the bearings...

Loosen the axle nut, see if it turns more freely. If no change, retorque axle nut and check brake caliper...

If the resistance is decreased when you loosen the axle nut, ya need to check the bearings and make sure the spacers are properly installed. BTW, have you had any work done on the front wheel lately?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Bearsoftail
Advanced

I would think brakes. If the bearings were that worn I would think you could feel it. Did you by chance have the dealer replace your front pads?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 PM
gli.der
Cruiser

I can hear the pads rubbing when I spin it. Just before I come to a stop when coasting and using the rear brake only, they make noise, but as soon as I touch the brake lever, it gets quiet. I'll try what you suggested...I lowered my fender recently, maybe i got the axle bolt too tight. Thx

Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearsoftail
I would think brakes. If the bearings were that worn I would think you could feel it. Did you by chance have the dealer replace your front pads?
Not to start a senseless argument, but would resistance not be something he feels?

Anyway, yeh double check how the spacers were placed when you reinstalled the axle. I believe one of the larger spacers outside the bearings is a tad shorter than the other. They are specific to which side they go on, and installing them on the wrong side could affect how the disk rides in the caliper.

Also, be sure to check the spacers under the bearing if you had those apart, (although you would have had to pull the seals to get to those, so maybe that isn't likely).

Since you mentioned lowering the fender, double check all clearances?

Last edited by CroK; 03-16-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

I have the exact same problem on my 09 RKC. Gonna check the brake caliper, think that is the culprit. Let you know, let us know!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Try cleaning your brake pistons and see what happens.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ride your bike and feel of the axle and bearing area. If you have anything too tight, or bad bearings, It should get hot!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My bike did the same thing after I changed front tires. Seems I did not push the fork tube to the left enough when I put it back together. Once I went back and redid it, it came out good.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd put the bike back on the lift and remove the calipers. It's a simple job, 4 bolts.
Spin the wheel, it should spin freely. If not, or you hear any grinding or rubbing - replace the bearings. If everything checks out - clean your caliper pistons.

Here's a link:
http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

Quick Reply: Front wheel resistance....?