Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel resistance....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
gli.der
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys....I'll be home Fri. and will start tearing into it. I'll post results with the hope of helping others as youve helped me. Great Forum. Thx again....

Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 AM
kpolak
Cruiser

gli.der: Can't wait to see what you come up with. I have the same issue.

Removed, tore apart and cleaned and re-greased both calipers/pistons/pins, and master cylinder, replaced all the fluid, still have the same issue. Everything inside looked clean, and solid so I didn't rebuild. I can see the spurt in the master when I apply the brakes as well.

Seems like the calipers are not releasing all the way. They went thru the full range before I attached them to the forks.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

There has to be some resistance or the brakes would not work.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
kpolak
Cruiser

Well, I still have the same problem... Sort of...

I turned the forks a bit, and that helped, a little. Thanks for the tip.

The upper part of the inner pad seems to be out a little more than the lower part of the pad. The outer pads look parallel, and even. A shim may be in order.

Seems like the hanging happens most when the brake is not fully engaged, not comming to a complete stop. The caliper is not moving out. The piston is retracting properly.

Next plan is to rebuild the master, and see if that helps push the caliper out.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
gli.der
Cruiser

Well, I removed the wheel and checked everything out. Couldn't see anything unusual and my spacers were correct. I put the wheel back on and retorqued everything and now my wheel spins more freely (about 1 revolution). I wish I could pinpoint what was wrong, but I really didnt do anything. Sorry not much help to others who have the same problem. Good luck........

Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gli.der
Well, I removed the wheel and checked everything out. Couldn't see anything unusual and my spacers were correct. I put the wheel back on and retorqued everything and now my wheel spins more freely (about 1 revolution). I wish I could pinpoint what was wrong, but I really didnt do anything. Sorry not much help to others who have the same problem. Good luck........
Get the front wheel off the ground, loosen the axle pinch nuts. Spin the wheel with you right hand and then squeeze the front brake with your left hand. Do this 4 or 5 times and hold the brake on the last time, tighten the pinch nuts. You should see it free up as your spinning and braking as it sets the spacing.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with hog-doc, sounds to me the axle wasn't positioned correctly the first time. It can be kinda tricky, and it's very easy to tighten the pinch nuts without the axle being set correctly. I actually did the same thing the first time I removed my front wheel!