Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went Down Friday Evening.... I am blessed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The man upstairs was looking after you on that one! Glad your OK and could write about your "adventure" to us.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Modee1245
Ok, so the adjuster and I go out to look over the bike I am amazed at what we found out.

From what I was told by the shop and the adjuster looking at the bike, he found that the tire valve was not properly intstalled when I purchased the new tire. Being that they put the black top screw on the tire which stopped the air from coming out of the tire, which I never knew. However, when I stopped and checked the tire pressure I did not put the little top back on the tire, therefore, after I took off down the freeway the damn Valve stem thing thats inside the stem came out and cause me to go down. So it was not a true blow out, yet a rapid and sudden loss of air in the tire.

I am still thankful that God save me from serious injury and such. The bike has 5,000 worth of damage but hey its just money....

So on top of wearing the proper gear, I guess we should always not only check the pressure but put that black top back on and have the stems checked from time to time.

Be Safe::: Modee Stl.
That spring plunger to keep air in the tire is called a "Schrader valve" (apols if spelled incorrectly).
The black soft screw top is called a valve cap and it's job is more to protect the schrader valve from dust and road crap than it is there to keep air in the tire (although it can help from a rapid loss of air occuring through).

Valve caps used to have a Schrader valve tool built in on top of them to tighten/remove the schrader valve when needed, but I haven't seen one like that for years.

NOTE TO SELF:
1. Get a Schrader valve tool; and
2. Make sure the valve cap goes back on the valve stem after checking tire pressure.

I have no idea where you stand regarding legalities since you didn't put the valve cap back on after checking-- even though it sounds like the schrader valve was not correctly in place. JMO

Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Just cut off a 16-penny nail and hacksaw a slot thru it and you have a schrader valve wrench - you could even put a hole in it and put it on with your keys.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

First of all, I am glad you are going to be OK. I am glad you were intuitive enough to wear your gear. And thanks for taking the time to articulate all that happened. Maybe some of the riders that are yet to go down will think about adopting the mantra "all the gear all the time" and maybe put a little less emphasis on looking cool or whatever it is that keeps folks from protecting themselves while riding.

Over the years, I have found that the folks that ride around with no personal protection have never felt the burn, sting, and pain of asphault and rock cutting into their flesh or their skull. I have, and I never want to feel that ever again.

I guess we all know that equipment hardware fails, tires fail, the brains of car drivers fail, and occasionally even we screw the pooch. But we can all take measures to minimize our risk factors when operating these bikes. And it's the sharing of stories like yours that may just save a life or prevent someone from getting slightly or permanently disabled, or at least encourage someone to think about personal safety more often. Hope you heal-up quickly and get your bike back up and running soon.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

I'm not trying to be an @ss and I am glad the OP was alright but this thread is 9 months old, is it really necessary for us to still be offering our condolences after all this time? Does anybody even know how the OP is doing since then?

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 12-20-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you're here to tell the story. Now go hug the people you love.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain

Sure am glad your OK, that is some scary stuff.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Semper Fi Modee Glad you are alright. Hey that little rubber cap on the schrader valve, can that thing and get you a metal one at the local auto parts store, or go to harley and get one with a skull or Bar and shield. The metal ones have a rubber seal inside that will really hold air, the little plastic one will come off like a rocket.
You had an angel riding with you that night for sure.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM
bama6977
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not make any difference how old the post is if it makes just one of us think!! I am still recovering from 9/15 wreck and posted "Lesson's Learned from Motorcycle Wreck". I to was blessed and big difference from just being lucky. Get back on as soon as leg strength and ankle will cooperate.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You where lucky. There must be a guarding Angel riding with you that day. We all take for granted our safety while riding our bikes. Just the other day I was riding down a back road thinking, if I drive safe and pay attention I won't have a problem. Your story said that no matter how safe we think we are, there is always the possibility that something beyond our control can happen. It is the inherent danger of riding motorcycles. I am pleased you pointed out that riding with the proper gear may have saved your life. Looking cool to some is more important than ones safety...a fools game in the end. Congrat's on seeing Christmas 2010. You are a better rider than you where yesterday.

Quick Reply: I went Down Friday Evening.... I am blessed!!!