Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Pulsing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
toad6301
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO, it is not normal to feel the pulse as it
has been stated in earlier posts.

YES, it is normal for the ABS light to blink
until the bike starts moving, the ABS does
not activate until the bike is moving.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
nauti1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, calling the salesman to see what they can do to fix it..

Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Also to properly bleed and check the system it needs to be hooked up to the Digital Technician. As well, HD manual states that the brake fluid be changed every two years. Not many follow that rule. I would ask that they change the fluid, hook it up to the Digital Technician and bleed it and then flash it with the upgrade. Also might want to have your pistons cleaned and pads checked while doing it.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got my sg back from dealer for abs download and it was pulsing after download so they replaced rotors under warrenty.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All I can say is that on my '09 I never feel anything during normal braking. The other day some dork slammed on his brakes right in front of me and I did feel a very, very fast chattering of the front brake. It was so fast that I couldn't really feel each pulse. I have to say I was impressed with how smoothly I got it stopped.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:35 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nauti1
Is it normal to feel the brakes pulsing every time you grab the brakes? Thanks.
Pulsing is only normal when ABS is activated. That only happens if your hard on the brakes. Normal braking should be smooth as silk. My 2009 FLHR had a similar issue. After getting some BS from one dealer about the front brake pads being excessively worn to the point that it had warped my rotors, (not metal to metal) and refusing to do anything about it under warranty, I took it to another dealer who actually measured the run out in my rotors, took a look at my worn front brake pads, and replaced my rotors under warranty.

If I have any criticism of the Motor Company its that there is no standard approach to these types of problems. Every dealer does their own thing. Shop around, a good dealer is worth its weight in gold.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
svoracer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the notice about the bulletin M1239. My wife has a 2008 RG with ABS and I have a 2010 Ultra with ABS. The brakes on a civilian Ultra are definitely more sensitive than on the 2010 Police Ultra. I would like to be able to have my civilian Ultra re-flashed to the Police model spec and I am sure that is a diferent bulletin and may not be avail for non Police bikes.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My buddy had a pulsing on his '08 EGC and thought it was the ABS. I correctly diagnosed it as a warped front rotor. When active, the abs doesn't feel like a pulsing, more like a low frequency vibration. BTW, your dealer is full of it if he tells you pulsing in the brakes is normal, ABS or not.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Also to properly bleed and check the system it needs to be hooked up to the Digital Technician. As well, HD manual states that the brake fluid be changed every two years. Not many follow that rule. I would ask that they change the fluid, hook it up to the Digital Technician and bleed it and then flash it with the upgrade. Also might want to have your pistons cleaned and pads checked while doing it.
This is new to me. I havn't read the manual fully but why would you need a DT to bleed the brakes. My under standing is that if you run the master cylinder dry you need a DT to clear the code that would be set but if you do a proper bleed you would not run the master cylinder dry.

No pulsing on my '08 unless I hit em really hard.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Springerfan
This is new to me. I havn't read the manual fully but why would you need a DT to bleed the brakes. My under standing is that if you run the master cylinder dry you need a DT to clear the code that would be set but if you do a proper bleed you would not run the master cylinder dry.

No pulsing on my '08 unless I hit em really hard.
Under normal nonABS event braking if you feel a pulsation in the lever or pedal it is a warped rotor, runout over .008" is under warranty either factory or extended.

You dont NEED a DT to bleed the brakes just to purge the ABS soleniods, you can do a normal bleed just like any other brake system, but if you have the dealer do the ABS bleed proceedure with the DT it will ensure all the air is out of the soleniod.

The will not be a code set if you run your master dry, there is no sensor to tell the ECM such a thing.

Last edited by hog-doc; 03-21-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS Pulsing Question