Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Docking Hardware Installation - Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:53 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Docking Hardware Installation - Lessons Learned

I should have known this simple project wouldn't be easy. Here are some lessons learned for anyone doing this project on 08 or earlier models.

Last summer I installed the front docking hardware 53803-06 and for what should have been easy turned out to be an all afternoon project. There were lots of issues getting bolts realigned and naturally everything had to be taken apart three times because the instructions were about as bad as you get.

Today I installed the rear docking hardware for my tour pack and again it was the usual PITA. I used part no. 53804-06

Lessons Learned:
  • You may as well install both the front and rear docking kit just in case you go from a sissy bar to a tour pack - even if you don't think you are going to get one.
  • Apply pressure to the saddlebag rail, up and down pressure on the fender, and side to side pressure on the diagonal rail the docking hardware mounts to. This should get everything aligned. Take your time, it might take awhile unless you are really lucky.
  • The instructions are almost useless. Use them as a general reference, but use all the extra parts to your advantage. .
  • Be careful with the clip nut that the saddlebag bracket get bolted to. This is the square nut that clips to the diagonal rail. These things will fall out easily and are a major PITA to get back into place and you have to take the docking kit back off to fix the problem.
  • There are all kinds of different spacers in the kit and you will end up with lots of extra parts. You will need to use the 1/8 inch spacers to get your saddlebags lined up. I used two 1/8 inch spacers behind the front saddlebag brackets to get them to line back up.
  • Do not fully tighten the saddlebag brackets. Line the brackets up with your saddlebag and tighten the bolts with a 7/16 inch wrench or socket. This is where you will know how many spacers you need, if any at all.
  • If you are going to use an antenna relocation kit, the chrome bracket that comes with it mounts to the rear docking hardware rail (might be different for 09 and later). Install this bracket before mounting the docking hardware.
PM with any questions. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks man!!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Good Post!!!Thanks There are also a few picture posts on this install if anyone wants to do a search.....

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile rear docking mount for tourpack

Amen to the PIA.
I had the quick detach sissy bar set up & decided to do the quick detach mount for a tour-pak. I too thought it would be a quick one hour job - no such luck. In the end I had to loosen off or take out the bolts for the quick detach sissy bar kit. I then lined up the tourpak kit and loosely tightened the bolts. Like you this was the only way to get every bolt lined up. Took several hours and a couple of stripped bolts.
Having got the mount figured out I now have to sort out the lights & antenna. Seems I will have enough slack in the cables to connect it up without buying any extension kits.
Next project will be to buy the rear speakers and a lock kit. All the holes are already driiled out so hopefully this will be the easy part.
Nothing like having fun on a weekend eh!!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad (sadly) that I wasn't the only person with issues on this seemingly simple installation.
Yes...like most of you, I have been a mechanic all my life and pride myself on being able to throw it together without instructions. But once I got it together...back apart it came. So...instructions came back out (of the trash) and I had to carefully examine all procedures...and still wouldn't go together correctly.

HD - suggestion for you- if you are listening...color code the parts on the vaccum package AND the instructions. Print them so we can READ them...not in the usual micro print. Spend the extra $.01 on the paper and make it larger so "Joe Harley rider" can read the dang thing!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Just did the same this weekend...front mount of the rear dock is about 1/4 inch narrower than the rear point. I used the spacers as described but I think I need to remove and add something to both, it was a real bear to get the tour pack mounted up.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
rk62
Cruiser

For some reason that docking hardware goes on real hard for some and easy for others. I'm in your club. It took the afternoon for a 30 minute project. I finally loosened just about everything holding the fender on to flex it enough to line up the docking hardware bolts. Before I did it, if somebody told me that they had struggled so much, I would have thought them to be inept because it looks so straightforward. Words to the wise...don't take on any H-D accessory install if you have to ride the same day.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm one of those that didn't have a problem...Bolted right on, and had the tour pak on within an hour...Sorry to hear you had a difficult time.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Jonny Two Guns
Cruiser

Another thing I might add is this. Do not try this install with the bike on the Jiffy Stand. With the bike at an angle the bike tends to twist with it's weight and realigning bolt holes adds to the frustration.

I have done this job twice. Once with the original HD mounting plastic points then once with the aluminium ones I got off a forum member, I can't remember his name. (which by the way are so much better then the plastic ones) If you jack the bike up and keep it level the job is a lot easier.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Two Guns
Another thing I might add is this. Do not try this install with the bike on the Jiffy Stand. With the bike at an angle the bike tends to twist with it's weight and realigning bolt holes adds to the frustration.

I have done this job twice. Once with the original HD mounting plastic points then once with the aluminium ones I got off a forum member, I can't remember his name. (which by the way are so much better then the plastic ones) If you jack the bike up and keep it level the job is a lot easier.
Gilbos440rt (HDF Member) Has the machined mounting points...Bobby is a great guy and stands behind all his work!! You wont be sorry!! :-)

Quick Reply: Docking Hardware Installation - Lessons Learned