Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack rack installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Use a stepped drill bit, if you have one. They tend to leave a cleaner hole in fiberglass or plastic than a regular twist bit.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I've drilled holes in my tour pak to mount the HD spoiler/LED and the saddlebag lids for the HD spoilers/LEDs. For my money, the guys with the cojones are the guys whoo cut the corners out of the King Tour Pak to install the Ultra light bar--now there is some material removal; drilling four holes is a snap by comparison.

Tip: Make sure the tour pak is empty when you drill; buddy forgot he had a full face helmet in the tour pak when he drilled the lid for the luggage rack and got the helmet--ouch!!!

Carl
I did the light bar and lid rack on my 99 Electra Glide Classic, I swear I sweat bullets through the whole opperation. Now after 3 years with my 07 Street Glide I have just ordered the King TP and premium lid rack and will do it all again no light bar this time tho. Even tho I have done this before I'm sure my blood pressure will still go up.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Put mine on this past weekend. It is a little intimidating drilling 4 holes in the TP. On my 07' I used the 'USA' emblem for a straight edge, and just marked on the tape. I wouldn't want to do it without having the bike on a jack.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
hotshot
Tourer

How close to the passenger backrest are you guys placing the rack? Just wondering as it sounds like you are pretty well placing it where it looks best and straight with the USA emblem. Or maybe the best question is how far in front of or behind is the trailing side of the rack in relation to the USA emblem? (hope that made sense)

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hotshot
How close to the passenger backrest are you guys placing the rack? Just wondering as it sounds like you are pretty well placing it where it looks best and straight with the USA emblem. Or maybe the best question is how far in front of or behind is the trailing side of the rack in relation to the USA emblem? (hope that made sense)
I put mine about an inch from the backrest to avoid rub marks and to have enough room for bungies / tiedowns.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I have no idea what USA emblem you guys are talking about, must be an Ultra thing. The Classic's don't have it.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Javawave
Tourer

sweated a lot when I did mine, but it wasnt that big of deal. Just take your time and make sure your marks are correct before you drill.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN

Sorry.. Hog Doc... couldn't resist.... lol
Cleavage showdown, a couple years ago!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hotshot
Its the rectangular indent in the lid, they all have it, they just have different logos, classic, USA, etc.

I use the forward edge of the indent to align the rear legs of the rack.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having a laugh @ all the responses....and I was the same.

"Set the rack on top....squared it up...measured here...nudged there...just making sure everything was right. Got it!!!"

And then....after an hour or so of 'repeating the above'...3 or 4 ciggies...it took about 10 mins to drill and attach.

Was the same way when I put the 'spoiler' on too!

Billy G

Quick Reply: Tour Pack rack installation