Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack rack installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Mine had no template. All it had was this metal plate inside the TP where the holes were drilled. All I had to do was drill through the holes in the metal plate through the TP. Oh ya, I didn't use any tape either.
Nevermind, I see that your all talking about the rack ON the TP. Don't have one of those.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 PM
lock pick
Intermediate
Smile

I like the rack with the built in light.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

I used the blue painters tape too. Layed it on the tour pak and lined it up, used a marker to draw circles around the bases of the 4 legs of the rack. Drilled one hole and screwed in the rack to check to see if my other 3 holes were still good or now off slightly. Drilled another hole, screwed it in and then rechecked just one more time since the last two couldn't move.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use blue tape. Set it up on the rack where it looks good. Eye-ball it. Mark it. Drill it. Install it. Piece of cake.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Trek
Tourer

This is funny, I just finished installing one on my new bike. I ended up cutting the template that is NOT for this rack, but it did give me some additional lines to help me place the rack. I then taped it down a bit, walked around the bike for about an hour, decided it was square and far enough back from the backrest, marked the tape I had set the legs on, then drilled the holes with a 9/32 brad tipped bit.

I drilled one, and bolted it loosely, then drilled the next, and so on until all the wholes were drilled then put a dab of silcone on each bolt head, and plastic washer and around the threads and tightened it down.

Dang scary to be drilling holes in my brand new bike! My friend just told me to mark it and drill it already, you can always fill the wrong holes with bubble gum...

Can't wait to work on HIS bike! LOL

Old 03-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
I then taped it down a bit, walked around the bike for about an hour, decided it was square and far enough back from the backrest, marked the tape I had set the legs on, then drilled the holes with a 9/32 brad tipped bit.
So after looking at it for 10 minutes, it took another 50 minutes to decide if it was really where you wanted it? I want some of those drugs!!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Trek
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by Clint55
So after looking at it for 10 minutes, it took another 50 minutes to decide if it was really where you wanted it? I want some of those drugs!!
No kiddin! I was convinced that it would look right on the jack and then not on jiffy stand...or I had it too close or too far back...

I could have bought the limited for less than all this STRESS of drilling my new bike cost me!

:-)

Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I've drilled holes in my tour pak to mount the HD spoiler/LED and the saddlebag lids for the HD spoilers/LEDs. For my money, the guys with the cojones are the guys whoo cut the corners out of the King Tour Pak to install the Ultra light bar--now there is some material removal; drilling four holes is a snap by comparison.

Tip: Make sure the tour pak is empty when you drill; buddy forgot he had a full face helmet in the tour pak when he drilled the lid for the luggage rack and got the helmet--ouch!!!

Carl

Old 04-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPRPIG
Premium Tour-Pak Luggage Rack 53665-87

I ended up going with the Air wing tour pak luggage rack 79179-08. I did not get the additional light but I can order that later if I want. Didnt feel like messing with additional wiring right now.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Lambo
Tourer

What about taking the lid off by removing the pins, keep the lid on a solid flat surface.

Quick Reply: Tour Pack rack installation