Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's One For The Sound Doctors

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 06:17 PM
lionsm13
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Here's One For The Sound Doctors

First nice riding day today since last November. Had the bike out listening to tunes from the IPOD, going down the road and next thing you know, NO SOUND. The Harmon Kardon in the 09 SG indicates that everything is working, CD player, IPOD and the Radio, but no sound, hmmmmm.... Stop in at my dealer, one of the techs comes out verifies the above and says I got a code that says open speakers. Hmmmm? ok. Says it could be something as simple as a disconnected wire, orrrrr maybe a pinched wire. At any rate, I decided to bring it home and after I pulled in the garage noticed while I was talking to my buddy about this situation I noticed that my speedo and tach lights were on but the bike was turned completely off. Hmmmm, pull saddlebag, side cover off pull fuse, leave it out for a bit plug back in fuse, speedo and tach light bulb comes on again.
Hmmm, throuoghly confused now, so left the fuse pulled until I get some ideas of why this might happening, any thoughts and or ideas would sure be appreciated. I'm thinking that it is all related somehow...No tunes and the speedo and tach bulb stuck on when ever the fuse is in. Thanks in advance.

Oh BTW it does have an upgraded Hog Tunes Amp tweeter pod and fairing speakers but it has been working fine in the garage, but today was the first day that it has been run on the road while listening to the tunes.

Old 03-13-2010 | 06:23 PM
bman7163
Tourer

Sounds like something has come loose from your upgrade while riding. I would pull the fairing and recheck all connections.

Old 03-13-2010 | 06:41 PM
lionsm13
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes this is my thought too, but what make would the speedo/tach light stay on even when the bike is turned off?

Old 03-13-2010 | 07:26 PM
WhiteGoldSG
Road Master

did you tap into any of the factory wiring? perhaps to grap a remote wire for the amp..sounds like something is backfeeding. Did you use hogtunes install kit? something backfeeding would also account for no sound coming to the speakers because the amp would have shut down. try unpluging the amp and hooking a speaker back up to the radio directly and rule out the radi. also, see if you guages still remain lit after the amp is disconnected. If they are not still lit, plug the amp back in and see if they come back on. If they do, you have a backfeeding problem which could be fixed by using a resistor if need be. I would try this first and if it turns out to be caused by hooking the amp up, contact hogtunes. Also, Do you have a Badlands or any other lighting controler on the bike. I had an issue once on a bike I worked on with a badlands run/brake/turn controller backfeeding into the guages and radio after the bike was turned off due to the power that is stored in the controller.

Old 03-13-2010 | 08:29 PM
lionsm13
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank You WhiteGold, sounds like good advice.

Yes the Hogtunes kit was used. No other type of controller device.

Last edited by lionsm13; 03-13-2010 at 08:40 PM.