Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best intercom and 2 way radio set up for...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:13 PM
joeschmoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best intercom and 2 way radio set up for...

my '06 RG and the wife' s '03 Sportster? Yesterday the wife took a fairly nasty spill by running into a guardrail over in NC. If I hadn't looked back in my rearview at the time I did it is very possible I would have ridden a mile or two more before realizing something had happened.

So now I am looking for the "best" two radio set up for our bikes...Of course once her's gets fixed. I am looking for an intercom for when she rides 2 up woth me and then once she's back riding on her own getting the 2 way set up. I have read about Starcom and Autocom...But it is just sales propaganda I need real world useage and reviews of the products. THe sales literature tells me nothing of the clarity, the ease of operation, and so on....

I know if I read the web sites each one is the absolute best in the world and nothing is better than their respective product....Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default RE: What's the best intercom and 2 way radio set up for...

I have not used the bike to bike set ups - I run Autocom with my wife as a passanger - they are NOT cheap but they work even at highway speeds... make riding a lot nicer being able to talk - we wear full face helmets... fit is very nice

Old 07-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I have Autocom and have had no problems with it. Quality costs money (look at a Harley).

Stay away from, no, RUN AWAY from Chatterbox. They are pure junk!

Those are the only two I have experience with. Guess which one I had trouble with from start to finish.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been pondering which intercom system to get myself. All we need is a two-up set as my wife rides shotgun with me. There are many, and the best ones cost a King's ransome. Being a rather frugal (cheap) individual, and having a problem with the idea of spending a few Franklins on a device for speaking to someone two inches behind me, I opted for something inexpensive (sh!tty) just to see how it works out. Went on Ebay and ordered up a Nady battery powered intercom. Well, the one they sent me did not work. A replacement is on the way as I write this. Hopefully the next one will work and I will be happy to let you know how well (or not so well) it works on the road. I figured for $70 it's worth a try.