Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leeroynakd
So you guys that have had the TKR, did you go with the chrome or the black? What oil did the doc use?
mine actually was a material called oxyninium(spelling?)looked sorta like black chrome
i use the syn 2 oil so i could use it in both knees.any how the knee is made from titanium and some kind of process that makes it like ceramic coating to prevent scratching and wear
much stonger than just regular metalic stuff.and the knee style was smith/ nephew.genisis II ride safe

Old 03-14-2010, 02:07 PM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mother had both knees replaced at the same time in the middle of january,she did three weeks of physical rehab. went on vacation to florida the end of february never had a problem!!!!But i think she would tell you who the surgeons are and where you have it done makes all the difference in the world take the time to find out who had surgery and who did it and how they came out in the end,if they are still suffering from pain or they cant kneel on thier knees after 3 months i would have to say that thier surgeons were not very good.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

Originally Posted by never say never
my mother had both knees replaced at the same time in the middle of january,she did three weeks of physical rehab. went on vacation to florida the end of february never had a problem!!!!But i think she would tell you who the surgeons are and where you have it done makes all the difference in the world take the time to find out who had surgery and who did it and how they came out in the end,if they are still suffering from pain or they cant kneel on thier knees after 3 months i would have to say that thier surgeons were not very good.
Since I'm the one who said that you cant kneel on your knees,must be my dr.is no good..Actually if your mom's doc didnt tell her not to,then maybe her doc's not very good.There are many things in your life that change,getting a total knee replacement is NOT your real knee and will never be the same as your real knee.It is generally done to alleviate pain,thats it.Kneeling on them wears things down and could dislocate.Again coming from someone who doesn't actually know.
Not trying to start a pissin match but there are several things that people think you can and cant do.I wasn't trying to make it out to be a bad thing,(having the surgery)but there are many changes you go thru,and if you are active in life,you dont just go on vacation less than a month later and everythings just like new.Most any doc would tell you not to even drive a car that soon,I know first hand...

Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Kneeling

Yeah, kneeling is something that you really don't do at all in the first year, or maybe very gently if you're not a bilateral. (where you put most of your weight on the good knee)

I've been told I'll be able to kneel after the 2nd year.. but, it isn't something I should do much of. Use knee pads, and they have special ones if you need to do it a lot.

Not a lot of hard a fast rules in this, but no basketball.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 AM
BB lover
6th Gear

I had TKR 2 years ago at the end of this month. I was 42 yrs old at the time. The bottom of my femur bone was breaking off and my right knee locked up and I couldn't bend my knee at all. I had no choice but to have it replaced. I was walking on my knee 2 days after surgery. It's all about the rehab and a great doc. I was riding in 6 weeks. Follow the PT and work hard and it will pay off. I still have some discomfort in the cold MN winters which I was told was normal. I'm also the guy that can"t kneel. jump, or run, so I just go for walks.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a near future canidate for replacements. I have been putting it off as long as possible because of the change of lifestyle, and age. According to most accounts replacements last 10 years and at 53 and 285lbs I would surely need to do them again in 10 years or less. I have been getting Euflexa shots in both for the past three years with decent results. The left is bone on bone and wearing out but doc says I can hold off as long as I wish. My question to those who have done it is .. Would you do one and then the other or go for both at one operation? I have done both at one time with othroscopic but I don't think that's quite the same. Also mentioned earlier is how soon you can ride is not the same as how long before you could really hold up the bike on a week knee.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if they can put the HD emblem on it