Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Goes to show

Originally Posted by RKCUSTOMBUD
Oldhippie, yes I have heard of MIS, most good orthopedic surgeons are going to avoid any incisions to the quadricep, they move it out of the way. Jim.
You're reply with the question marks ??? made it sound as if you didn't think that was done. I guess it's just the way e-mail communication loses something...

Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default Doctor

Originally Posted by nick@nite
Who's the doctor?
http://www.stephenmurphy.org/cv/index.html

Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thnaks to everyone with the information and good luck's. I had heard a little about the MIS but you guys made it a lot plainer. A friend told me there's a hospital in Denton, TX that does nothing but knees with that procdure. I will cHeck it out. Anybody live in Denton? Help a fellow Texan out. Ya'll ride safe, and I'm ridin till it happens and then as soon as I can. 24 years active Army taught me how to"Suck it up" and get on with the mission. I shall return, and soon

Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 AM
2010 Ultra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Knee Replacement

Hey gunner - I had my knee replaced last May. I too had bone on bone after a few femur breaks as a youngster then again as a young Marine.
Following surgery, I spent two days in the hospital and was out of work and off the bike for six weeks. I worked real hard in Physical Therapy to gain strength and mobility up to levels better than they were before the surgery. Riding is now more comfortable than ever. The best part is being able to dismount and walk without 'warming up' my knee.
Let us know how you make out.

Good luck and ride safe.
Greg

Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 AM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

Gunner, good luck with your surgery. You have a good attitude towards Rehab, and from the picture you show, you are at a good weight. Being way overweight is one of the worst things you can be for this type of surgery. Let us know how you did when this is over, again, Good Luck, Jim.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default You'll be Glad

Originally Posted by gunner11
Thnaks to everyone with the information and good luck's. I had heard a little about the MIS but you guys made it a lot plainer. A friend told me there's a hospital in Denton, TX that does nothing but knees with that procdure. I will cHeck it out. Anybody live in Denton? Help a fellow Texan out. Ya'll ride safe, and I'm ridin till it happens and then as soon as I can. 24 years active Army taught me how to"Suck it up" and get on with the mission. I shall return, and soon
You'll be glad you did. My experience was a wish I did it 4 years sooner. I don't know how much bone-on-bone I had, but my lower femerol bone had tipped inwards as the joint deterioated on one side, and I couldn't walk more than a block. I couldn't go to the grocery store, or the mall or get through an airport without being in level 8 pain.

Day I got out of surgery I traded the bone pain for the post op pain, in two or three weeks I was fairly functional but still on vicodin, March 24th operation, Riding on late April, and rode all year long. In no pain. It was great!

Get her done!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM
ctbird53
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rerb95
hope your back on your bike sooner than you think... I had a shattered pelvis from a car crash and I was back to work in less than a year, I would hope that you would be back on your bike as fast as possible!

Good luck!
#1 I had a hip replaced after it got so bad I could barely walk & in constant pain...no complaints now, just wish I had done it a long time ago. Youll be glad you did it when its all said &done. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
leeroynakd
Cruiser
Talking

So you guys that have had the TKR, did you go with the chrome or the black? What oil did the doc use?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
sstoots
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knee Replacement Surgery

I had a total left knee replacement 8 months ago. I was at a point that I had no option. The rehab is tough, but if you are diligent you can expect to basically be 'over it' in 6 weeks or so. I am 55. I was riding a stationary bike at 3 weeks albeit very gingerly. You have to be fanatical about the rehab. Range of motion is key. I won't lie; its a tough operation and a tough rehab. Hips are much easier. Get the orthopedic doctor you can find ; one who does computer assisted minimally invasive surgery (its spares the quadricep muscle).

Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 with olhippie! Thanks to many years of SWAT stufff my left knee cartilage was sheared off to the bone. Hurt all the time.Finally sucked it up. Had the micro facture surgery to stimulate cartilage growth and scoped as well. Out for about two weeks could hardly move. Was very stiff lots of pain where they drilled into the sides of my knee. They drilled three holes. Two for instruments and one for the camera to see what they were doing! After a month of therapy began to loosen up. Took me about a year to really feel solid on my knee though. I still rode but when my leg started feeling tired, had to rest. Good luck! Just take your time and rehab it right. Everyone heals differently.

Quick Reply: Knee replacement