Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunner11
Any of you guys had a complete knee replacement? What am I looking at in terms of rehab length. It will happen in April or May. How does it affect do leg exercises since I've always been a weight trainer?
I put off my Sturgis trip because the pain on a scale of 1-10 is about a 12 24/7. Would love to here some experiences and how it turned out for you. Aready had it scoped twice, and it's hanging by about one ligament and a leg brace, Not my left thankfully so I can still hold up the bike with no problem.
had one total knee two years ago.had second this past july. oseteoarthritis big time
never had old injury or anything .just worn out knees.any how do all of your rehab,select best hospital and surgeon ask around .i went to underwood hospital in new jersey,and dr.obade in woodbury was back riding in about 8-10 wks. no pain .but every dr is different as everyone has a different tolerence to pain. if you think you are ready for surgery then only you can make that call .if it hurts bad enough you will be glad you did it . well at least i'm glad i did. good luck

Old 03-13-2010, 12:16 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Never had TKR, but I have family that had hips and knees. The latest is one of your line drivers that just had both done at the same time. He was back in 8 weeks. This guy is now about 1.5 taller and climbs all over his 389 Pete. Tarps lumber and stack high pipe loads like nothing at all. And he is back on his red Roadking. Between the Pete or Roadking hard to say which is nicer.

Point is if you want to get well and be active all has to do with you attitude and co-operation with the PT. Ask alot of question about your doctor and rehab hospital. Me personally I prefer board certified physicians. The replacements the doctors the better.

And last believe in your PT.

Go luck and post back your results for all.

Take care

Last edited by leicafish; 03-13-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,253 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCUSTOMBUD
Lion, I was not insulting you, why don't you ask your surgeon if you are truly walking on a knee with absolutely no cartilage left, not even articular cartilage, and how long have you been walking in this condition ?
Surgeon told me 3 years ago that I was getting close to bone on bone,(previous knee surgery, arthroscopy back in the mid egihties) and told me that I was bone on bone this last october.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Baggrmark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my doc 2yrs. ago told me that my knee was bone on bone,that is why at 43 y.o. I let him do the TKR but then again he screwed that up,so now I've just had #2 TKR,and already starting to get better.As I said make sure you get the best doc possible and definately do the PT as much as you can stand,just my 2 cents,but it's not that I knew somebody who did it or can tell how well someone else is doing afterward,I'm living it.As I said previously this was my 9th surgery since I fell off a roof in 1992 so I may go a little slower because of all the previous trauma,but my doc say's I'm doing much better than he thought I would be doing concidering..I do know anyone saying that 4-5 weeks you can go is full of it.Not having pain is not the same as being able to ride,anyone who has had it done knows that even when the pain stops doesn't mean your really strong enough to maybe get out of a situation.
Can you ride at 6-7 weeks yeh probably I took a little spin 2 days ago.doesn't mean I'm really ready to ride,would my doc think it's ok likely not...
As pledd55 said when it hurts bad enough you will do it and be damn glad you did,all I can say is take little into what's said by the ones who really have know idea.
Best wishes to you Gunner
Mark

Old 03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Here's an article Jim.

Originally Posted by RKCUSTOMBUD
Gunner11, the only advice that I would take away from the guys on this forum that think they understand this surgery and what really happens is the advice to find the best surgeon you can, [ that usually translates into how many Replacement surgeries they perform/year.] These guys are not purposely trying to mislead you, they just don't remember well enough as to what their surgeon said, or what their condition was before surgery or after, for instance : walking on a knee that is Bone on Bone, [ didn't happen ] back riding an 800 lb. motorcycle after 4-5 weeks ???, get the surgery where they don't cut through the quadricep muscle. ??? Gunner, find the best surgeon you can, even if you have to travel a couple of hours. Listen only to your surgeon. Write down all your questions before you talk to him each time, and cross out or write in answers as you go through list. Good Luck Man, Jim.
Here's a good reference to the Quad sparing MIS Surgery Jim. You never heard of it?

Overview

Knee replacement is a surgical procedure that decreases pain and improves the quality of life in many patients with severe knee arthritis. Typically, patients undergo this surgery after non-operative treatments (such as activity modification, anti-inflammatory medications, or knee joint injections) have failed to provide relief of arthritic symptoms. Surgeons have performed knee replacements for over three decades, generally with excellent results; most reports have ten-year success rates in excess of 90 percent.

Broadly speaking, there are two types ways to insert a total knee replacement: the traditional approach, and the newer minimally-invasive (sometimes called quadriceps-sparing) approach.

Traditional total knee replacement involves a roughly 8” incision over the knee, a hospital stay of 3-5 days, and sometimes an additional stay in an inpatient rehabilitation setting before going home. The recovery period(during which the patient walks with a walker or cane) typically lasting from one to three months. The large majority of patients report substantial or complete relief of their arthritic symptoms once they have recovered from a total knee replacement.

Minimally-invasive quadriceps-sparing total knee replacement is a new surgical technique that allows surgeons to insert the same time-tested, reliable knee replacement implants through a shorter incision using surgical approach that avoids trauma to the quadriceps muscle (see figure 1), which is the most important muscle group around the knee. This new technique, which is sometimes called quadriceps-sparing knee replacement uses an incision that is typically only 3-4” in length (see figure 2), and the recovery time is much quicker – often permitting patients to walk with a cane within a couple of weeks of surgery or even earlier. The less-traumatic nature of the surgical approach also may decrease post-operative pain and diminish the need for rehab and therapy compared to more traditional approaches.

More found here.

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/...s/Default.aspx

Last edited by oldhippie; 03-13-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Get it done. You'll get your life back!

I had total right knee replacement surgery last March 24th, at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. I had an excellent doctor who specializes in knee and hip surgeries and uses what is knows as MIS CA (minimally invasive surgery, computer assisted). You want to make sure your doctor does MIS. What MIS does is it avoids cutting through the top quadricep muscle and goes in on the side of it. This makes it an easier less lengthy healing process.

So I went and had mine done on March 24th last year and I got on the Electraglide for my first ride on April 19th. less than 4 weeks later. I was by no means 100% at that time, but I was fine to ride the bike, walk around etc.

I was walking on the new knee days after surgery, although not much. They really want you doing the exercises, every day, 3 times a day for the first 8 weeks.. or forever for that matter.

But it's been GREAT! Get a doctor that does over a hundred of these a year.. and a hospital that specializes or has a specialty in Ortho surgeries and you'll be fine.

I was on short term disability for 5 weeks. Most doctors will write up for between 6 and 8 weeks, depending on the job you ahve etc.

Ask more questions.

Good luck, and get it done!

Steve
Who's the doctor?

Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

Oldhippie, yes I have heard of MIS, most good orthopedic surgeons are going to avoid any incisions to the quadricep, they move it out of the way. Jim.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

Lion, ask your surgeon again if you are walking "bone on bone" and if he says yes: ask him if that means all of your articular cartilage is gone too, see what he says. p.s. I have had nine surgeries, both knees replaced and one of my hips replaced, I'm not a rookie.

Last edited by RKCUSTOMBUD; 03-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hope your back on your bike sooner than you think... I had a shattered pelvis from a car crash and I was back to work in less than a year, I would hope that you would be back on your bike as fast as possible!

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
PJ 08 annv ultra
Novice

I'm 60 and on Dec 8th I had both knees replaced with Sigma rotating platform knees. These are made by DePuy and work the same way real knees work, bend and rotate just like the originals. Spent 3 days in hospital then 1 week in a rehab hospital. Wouldn't let me go home as I didn't have a good leg to stand on LOL. In 4 days I had no more rehab exercises to do as I worked hard everyday. Last 3 days in rehab I could do anything I wanted, so I started riding a schwynn airdyne. As far as I am concerned the airdyne is a real good piece of equipment to get. In 11 weeks I returned to work with no restrictions and am now waiting for this Michigan weather to break so I can ride, can't wait. Good luck, just make sure to check out the Docs. DePuy's web site list Drs. in your area.
Pat

Quick Reply: Knee replacement