Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default It isn't easy, but it is WORTH IT.

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Funny you should mention this; There was a thread about this just the other day on this site. Anyway I went and saw my ortho doc 2 days ago that I've been seeing for the past 3 years. I'm bone on bone arthritis and am looking at a TKR myself in the not distant near future. My doc said that I was kinda young; I'll be 57 in May as the TKR's only generally last in the vicinity of 12-15 years of which if that holds true will put at 72-75(of which I hope I'm still alive) by the next time that the same one needs relpaced. You may want to try to euflexxa injections in your knee for a while, if that's a possibiilty for your condition. They are a temporary fix though but will buy you some more time. I gotta shot of cortisone the other day that seems to be helping. That very well could help you too.
As far as rehab time goes; My doc said that when I get ready to do it of which I said I wanted to put it off until Sept.(as I don't want to be walking on the ice with it when I get it done) as I have a new bike and we are just entering into riding season that I should get ready for it by going to a PT prior to the surgery as that will help in the recovery process.
He said that the first 2 weeks are, "Hell but you can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel." By 6 weeks you wil be at 50%. At 3-4 months you will be at 90% and with in 1 year you will be at 99%.
When we're you looking at doing it?

How you doing Mark?
It isn't easy, but it is worth it. I agree, GET the BEST DOCTOR YOU CAN. I got this guy. http://www.stephenmurphy.org/cv/index.html

Go to a hospital that specializes in Ortho surgeries. Ask around for people that had the operations in your area. Generally the closest big city to you will have some kind of center for Knee and Hip replacement. Here's a good place to ask for your area. http://forums.delphiforums.com/onourfeet/?

It's kind of like getting sober, you got to hit bottom before you do it, but once you do you're very glad you did. You hear the horror stories but the success rate for this surgery is very high. People that have problems usually have had other complications. Infection is the number one enemy and that's why a special hospital that specializes in these surgeries is key, they do much more prescreening to keep infection out of the hospital.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Dr Talmo at Baptist by chance? He performed my wifes surgery last month.

he does nice work.

Before her knees got real bad, she was considered a sports injury case, and the Celtics team doctor did her previous 3 surgeries at Baptist.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,253 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Yep; my ortho doc also specializes in hip and knee surgery, was at Mayo 8 years prior to coming to this area.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
bdn56
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the shots in the knee cap to prolong the surgery for a 2 week trip to Sturgis last year.
I had TKR the day after Thanksgiving.
I was back to riding after the staples were removed. I have training wheels.

I am very disappointed at my progress. The doc says I am way ahead of schedule. I think it is taking way too long to be normal again.

I no longer have the pain but the stiffness is getting old. It's a combination of the trauma of the surgery and arthritis.

The doc says 6 months to 1 year to be semi normal. Time is going slowly.

I prolonged the surgery as long as I could stand it. I finally had it done and now I'm dealing with it.

The rehab was worse than the surgery to me.

Good luck, hope you get through it ok.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default They are all excellent there.

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Dr Talmo at Baptist by chance? He performed my wifes surgery last month.

he does nice work.

Before her knees got real bad, she was considered a sports injury case, and the Celtics team doctor did her previous 3 surgeries at Baptist.
No, I had Stephen Murphy, but I've heard of Talmo.. they are a small exclusive club over there.

It's just a top notch hospital. The food service menu is like a 5 star hotel and it's anything you want 24 hours a day! LOL! I loved being there..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default 6 months to a year

Originally Posted by bdn56
I did the shots in the knee cap to prolong the surgery for a 2 week trip to Sturgis last year.
I had TKR the day after Thanksgiving.
I was back to riding after the staples were removed. I have training wheels.

I am very disappointed at my progress. The doc says I am way ahead of schedule. I think it is taking way too long to be normal again.

I no longer have the pain but the stiffness is getting old. It's a combination of the trauma of the surgery and arthritis.

The doc says 6 months to 1 year to be semi normal. Time is going slowly.

I prolonged the surgery as long as I could stand it. I finally had it done and now I'm dealing with it.

The rehab was worse than the surgery to me.

Good luck, hope you get through it ok.
it's a very prolonged recovery process. They have to move all of those muscles out of the way to get in there and it takes a long time for them to get back in shape and finally get stronger.

The 6 months to a year is the time it takes to get to the point of just being a completely strong normal person again. It's 2 years before you forget it's in there. It really is a slow process. But, you can pretty much live your life pain free after the first 3 months in most cases. Every individual has a different healing process.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

lionsm13
I'm doing better everyday,thanks for asking,it's alot of work.
I have had some complications because of having 9 surgeries on the same knee,parts and pieces removed over the years makes for a different recovery for me I think.
As far as the blood thinners go,the first TKR I took cumiden (spelling ?) which you have to go to a blood clinic to get your blood checked a couple of times a week,this time I gave myself shots once a day for 14 days after I got home,but no trips to the clinic with the shots.
A hospital with a special wing for replacement surgery is definately best,in my opinion a must,getting any kind of infection is NO GOOD !
I'm kinda pushing myself for 8 weeks to get on the bike,to do any kind serious riding.Some people say you can ride earlier,which you probably can but let's not forget you may have to actually hold up the full wieght of the bike in certain circumstances.I'm in pretty good shape and I know the new joint is not going to hold that much wieght yet..been there last time,not a good feeling.Feeling good and walking around is completely different than riding.I've had many of the scope surgeries and been back at in a couple of weeks TKR is nowhere near the same recovery or rehab,but could be the best thing you ever did,I have to be extra gentle for awhile this being my second TKR @ 45 years old,I'm not sure I can have another.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 AM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

Gunner11, the only advice that I would take away from the guys on this forum that think they understand this surgery and what really happens is the advice to find the best surgeon you can, [ that usually translates into how many Replacement surgeries they perform/year.] These guys are not purposely trying to mislead you, they just don't remember well enough as to what their surgeon said, or what their condition was before surgery or after, for instance : walking on a knee that is Bone on Bone, [ didn't happen ] back riding an 800 lb. motorcycle after 4-5 weeks ???, get the surgery where they don't cut through the quadricep muscle. ??? Gunner, find the best surgeon you can, even if you have to travel a couple of hours. Listen only to your surgeon. Write down all your questions before you talk to him each time, and cross out or write in answers as you go through list. Good Luck Man, Jim.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,253 Likes on 22,615 Posts

[QUOTE=RKCUSTOMBUD;6392016] These guys are not purposely trying to mislead you, they just don't remember well enough as to what their surgeon said, or what their condition was before surgery or after, for instance : walking on a knee that is Bone on Bone, [ didn't happen ] QUOTE]

Somehow I get the feeling that you are directly/indirectly insulting me from what I said about being bone on bone arthritis?

FYI; if you would have finished reading my thread before you judged what I said you would have read that I saw my ortho doc 2 days ago.

From your quote it appears that you do not believe that it is possible for people to have varying degrees of arthritis to the point where they are bone on bone. Personally I don't think that you added anything to this discussion, other than an opinion, and we all know what those are like, don't we?

Last edited by lionsm13; 03-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

Lion, I was not insulting you, why don't you ask your surgeon if you are truly walking on a knee with absolutely no cartilage left, not even articular cartilage, and how long have you been walking in this condition ?

Last edited by RKCUSTOMBUD; 03-13-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Knee replacement