Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:25 PM
harleybill2008
|
Road Captain
Default Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?

My buddy just had a bad experience with one of the windshield vendors. It appears that he ordered a 7" model and received it but found that he didn't like it after a brief ride. Says he couldn't see through the bend in the glass and that it appeared to be a little weak in certain areas of the glass. When he tried to return it he just got the "no way you can return this" speech. That started me wondering why the windshield vendors feel that they shouldn't have to refund a customers money when the item is not what they expected it to be. They also told him that they would go out of business if they did returns. That statement alone makes me feel a bit leary about a vendor if they feel that they would go out of business if they gave refunds. Must be a shi&&&t product if that's the case? If they don't even trust that their own product is going to satisfy most people than why should we? Don't most vendors offer returns? Even if the item was given the old "restocking fee", it would at least be more customer friendly and a little less salt on the old wound. Now he will join the others that throw the windshield in a pile. Just some thoughts that I think we should all consider when we start checking into these windshields. Don't go by what others say, go and look at a windshield BEFORE you purchase and try it as well. It might just save you some money and keep the glass from gathering in the corner. Any thoughts on this or am I just being nieve?

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:34 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

If it's been installed as you say and he went for a ride with it, they probably couldn't legally resell it as a new one. Maybe I'm a sucker but anything I've installed or worn whether it's motorcycle parts or clothes or whatever, I don't think you can take it back for a refund.

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:35 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm going to say naive on this one. The seller can't resell a returned windshield after it's been installed. Now if the buyer had decided not to install it that might be a different story.

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:55 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by davessworks
The seller can't resell a returned windshield after it's been installed. Now if the buyer had decided not to install it that might be a different story.
I'm going to agree with both of these; it isn't 'new' anymore if someone bought it and used it, then returned it. The problem with windshields is that by installing and then taking it back off, who knows if it got scratched or marked up, and then someone else comes along buying it as 'new'. No thanks... now if the company charged a restocking fee and then sold the item as a 'take off' at a discounted price, that would be okay.

Old 03-12-2010 | 11:06 PM
Fewe
Cruiser

The only windshield company I know of that offers refunds on installed windshields is ClearView. They let you install the shield and take it for a test ride and return it if you aren't completely satisfied. As long as you don't remove the protective plastic on the shield you can send it back. I have the 9.5" dark tint with recurve and love it. Can't imagine any shield being better but I was uncertain about height when I ordered and felt more comfortable guessing at a size knowing if it wasn't right I could return it and try a different size. Some companies understand Customer Service but most just don't get it. I highly recommend ClearView shields and everyone I know that has tried them is very happy as well.

Old 03-12-2010 | 11:11 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
The problem with windshields is that by installing and then taking it back off, who knows if it got scratched or marked up, and then someone else comes along buying it as 'new'.
"Who knows if it got scratched or marked up?" How about, try "looking" at it. This is JMO but if the buyer bought the thing, rode it for a couple of miles and found that it really wasn't what they needed, took it back off without any visible scratches, then they should be able to return it. The preferable thing to do would be exchange it but a full refund, probably not including shipping costs, shouldn't be totally out of the question. Speaking for myself, if I bought a "new" windshield and what I received was totally blemish free, I'd be perfectly happy with that even if it had been shipped to someone else and returned. I'd never know the difference anyway.

The problem comes when there is some kind of defect as a result of the use. I have no doubt that the aftermarket windshield companies have had to deal with that too many times, thus the policy of "no refunds." I went through three windshields on my previous bike before I found one I was happy with because of that. It was a PITA but it was what it was.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 03-12-2010 | 11:39 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

I don't blame em either, for not taking it back. Problem is, hardly nobody likes windshields. Most always a little buffetting or a little too much wind in the face, or a little too much coverage. Even if they build a quality product, they'd probably end up shipping 5 windshields for each sale. I say it's up to the buyer to research thoroughly before plopping down the green.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:15 AM
RexBuck
Road Master

I don't know why the OP described this as all windshield vendors rather than name the vendor specifically. There are vendors of many different products that don't offer refunds or try it and return it if you don't like it like Clearview does.

The bottom line is that any business can determine its own return policy and if it isn't stated on their website then the question should be asked by the purchaser before the purchase is made. There is no obligation to accept returns unless they said they would.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:26 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

the sheilds are designed to look over not threw them

Old 03-13-2010 | 11:46 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
"Who knows if it got scratched or marked up?" How about, try "looking" at it. This is JMO but if the buyer bought the thing, rode it for a couple of miles and found that it really wasn't what they needed, took it back off without any visible scratches, then they should be able to return it. The preferable thing to do would be exchange it but a full refund, probably not including shipping costs, shouldn't be totally out of the question. Speaking for myself, if I bought a "new" windshield and what I received was totally blemish free, I'd be perfectly happy with that even if it had been shipped to someone else and returned. I'd never know the difference anyway.

The problem comes when there is some kind of defect as a result of the use. I have no doubt that the aftermarket windshield companies have had to deal with that too many times, thus the policy of "no refunds." I went through three windshields on my previous bike before I found one I was happy with because of that. It was a PITA but it was what it was.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.
Steve - you're an exceptional person and I will happily sell you all my "new" (can't tell the difference) parts for what ever you would buy them for new at the vendor.

I believe that there are trade regulations (you know - like federal law) that limit what can be sold as NEW versus RE-MANUFACTURED or simply lightly used. Sure if the item has never been removed from the packaging they may be able to get away with reselling as new but it's a very fine line. By the way - when you return open box merchandise to Best Buy (as an example) it almost always gets sent back to the manufacturer or their agent for "re manufacturing".

Last edited by davessworks; 03-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?