Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 02:12 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Maybe you should ask the vendor what their return policy is BEFORE you buy. No surprises that way.

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:07 PM
harleybill2008
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RexBuck
I don't know why the OP described this as all windshield vendors rather than name the vendor specifically. There are vendors of many different products that don't offer refunds or try it and return it if you don't like it like Clearview does.

The bottom line is that any business can determine its own return policy and if it isn't stated on their website then the question should be asked by the purchaser before the purchase is made. There is no obligation to accept returns unless they said they would.
That's the problem. When he called the person he talked to said she didn't think it would be a problem (returning it). Seems even their people didn't even know their policies. Only reason I didn't mention the specific vendor is that it really doesn't make much of a difference if most WS vendors have this policy. I would imagine they wouldn't take a return even if you never got it out of the box. My other bad thought is that the vendor tried to pawn this specific windshield off as one of the "updated" versions for which I don't believe it was. No, no proof of this but the vendor did say that some of the "thin" material that my friend complained about was supposed to be fixed on the newer version and that he might have the old version. Brings up my second gripe, why were ANY of the old versions even around after the second version was "ok'd". I happend to see that he was not the only person to get a "previous version" on this forum even after the vendor declared the new version to be sent out, which is the only reason he sprung for the shield to begin with. Vendor probably thought that he could get away with sending out some of the old versions or they would never have done it. In positive regards to the vendor, they would have swapped out the windshield for a new one but by this time my buddy got the "hard/dumb" head approach and just wanted to wash his hands of the whole mess and he didn't want to pay for more shipping. I bet he isn't the only one with a version 1 out there that thought he got a version 2. Any takers on that one?

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:13 PM
harleybill2008
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
I think some of you need to understand the laws regarding refunds.
No company, not even Walmart, is required to offer a refund.
A refund is a courtesy, not a right.
This unfortunately for us is true. Companies don't have to refund but it's a great way to keep customers happy & coming back. Also, there would be very few christmas presents bought if you couldn't do returns. Just a lot of gift cards which would doom a lot more stores out there.

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:34 PM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scoteh
I just bought one from Long Ride Shields, and it was stated quite clearly that once mounted it could not be returned. I don't have a problem with that. I inspected it closely to make sure it had no defects, put it on, and rode.
What, if you don't like a motorcycle you bought, you should be able to return it?
Do your research, make your deal, and live with it.
Whiners suck.
Um... if I'm not mistaken in most states you have 3 days or 72 hours to return your vehicle to the dealer for a full refund. There are mileage limits to this, but

Anyway, to the OP point, I try and do business with companies that believe in their product. A perfect example of this for me is a store like Nordstrom's. Obviously this isnt a motorcycle store, but their return policy is simple.... if you arent happy, bring it back and they'll do whatever they can to make it right, all the way up to refunding your money in cash. Do you pay a little more upfront? Probably, but it makes me come back to the establishment. I am very cautious with places that have return policies which are distinctly in the seller's favor.

Anyone else feel this way? Just my feelings FWIW.

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:41 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

You took a gamble and lost. Lick your wounds and move on.

It ain't the sellers fault and it ain't fair to blame them.

Ever hear of Ebay? Time for you to use it to sell your windshield and recoup some of your loss.

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:43 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

I would imagine they wouldn't take a return even if you never got it out of the box.
You don't know that for a fact and it is unfair of you to say that. Good thing you are not mentioning them by name.

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:53 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

Tell your buddy to sell it in the classifieds as a "briefly used" windshield that didn't work out because he was too naive to understand that you don't look "through" the recurve part of a windshield or there is going to be distortion. You look over the top of the shield. You can't expect a business to pay for your buddies education or let him experiment with their product for free. I'd suggest that he put the stock shield back on and then experiment with some blue painters tape until he finds a line that is comfortable to look OVER. Then buy a quality re-curve shield that is that TOTAL height. I'm totally happy with my Longrides 8 inch Recurve.

Old 03-13-2010 | 06:03 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by davessworks
Steve - you're an exceptional person.
Thanks!

I will happily sell you all my "new" (can't tell the difference) parts for what ever you would buy them for new at the vendor.
There's a big difference between a set of cams, pistons, valve springs, or some odd electrical part that's been plugged into a bike that's got electrical problems that fried the original in the first place, and a windshield that shows no odd scratch or blemish to indicate that it's ever actually been installed on a bike. As I stated in my previous post, I went through three aftermarket windshields on my previous bike before I found one that actually worked for me. It would have been nice if I could have gotten at least a partial refund for the windshields that I wasn't completely happy with but as has been pointed out, they won't do that regardless of the condition of the windshield being returned. I don't really blame the vendors for that but it doesn't mean I like it either.

I believe that there are trade regulations (you know - like federal law) that limit what can be sold as NEW versus RE-MANUFACTURED or simply lightly used. Sure if the item has never been removed from the packaging they may be able to get away with reselling as new but it's a very fine line. By the way - when you return open box merchandise to Best Buy (as an example) it almost always gets sent back to the manufacturer or their agent for "re manufacturing".
Probably true on the regulations part. As for Best Buy, you're probably correct in what you say happens to the product after it's returned. I'd point out however, the customer usually gets a full refund on that product from Best Buy. I've personally seen that happen on several occasions and the product in question and it's packaging wasn't even close to what I'd call a "like new" condition.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:05 PM
Lemayco
Cruiser

I just returned a windshield and am hoping to get my money returned for the simple fact that when it was mounted, the curve of the shield did not match the curve of the fairing properly and caused gaps where water would enter the fairing when I rode in the rain.

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:36 PM
Glenn W
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lemayco
I just returned a windshield and am hoping to get my money returned for the simple fact that when it was mounted, the curve of the shield did not match the curve of the fairing properly and caused gaps where water would enter the fairing when I rode in the rain.
That's a little different IMHO-you had a defective product and the OP had one he/she didn't like.
I make & sell fairings and my OEM shields have protective paper on them. Once it's installed with the paper removed it'll get little scratches where it slides in/out so at that point I won't take it back unless I sent the wrong size. What would I do with it, and why? I can't re-use it on another customer's fairing as "new". I could try and sell it at a reduced price, but so could the original buyer. If they want to go for a ride with the paper on and return it I have no problem with that, but they still end up paying shipping. I'll spend an hour on the phone if that's what it takes to help someone select their shield choice, but I have to draw the line at accepting used ones back.

Quick Reply: Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?