Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 11:54 AM
vindyl
Road Master

This is just like seats. You can't return them if you put it on the bike.How do you know you like it if you don't put it on and go for a ride. I just dropped $570.00 for a Mustang seat I hope like hell I like it. Because I assure you I will be pissed if I don't like it. Since you can't return it. Which is also BULLSH*T.

Old 03-13-2010 | 11:55 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

these is a real toss up problem, on one hand I agree, if I don't like it I should be able to exchange/return it, on the other hand, just installing and uninstalling can cause scratches and/or minor cracks if done improperly. My solution was buying a less expensive windshield 2 different sizes, I picked one and gave the other away. I got the shields from FastAire, nothing fancy, but its worked just fine. I don't know that I would buy a "used" windshield.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:19 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

I know when I was selling windshields for snowmobiles I would take them back personally, but the factory would not if the protective film had been removed.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:21 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Isn't that like trying to return used diapers to wal-mart. What are you gonna say? Hey these diapers already had **** in them.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:53 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm in the process of exchanging a Windvest winshield that I used for 1 ride.My broinlaw bought it for me for Christmas but it was just to short.
One thing I did not like was it was just placed in a plastic bag with no protection film on it.The plastic can still scuff up the shield during handling.Anyway a couple of small marks were on from the install and the packaging.
I'm happy to pay a restocking fee.I will find out how Windvest will cover this return next week.

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:20 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

A test ride with the stock shield taped up to a certain level will help determine the level that's right for you. You can add/remove strips of tape until you get it where you want it. You can even cut down the stocker for a better effect.
Also, mentioning to the seller that you mounted any part isn't a prudent course. I've returned several items (one was a seat) after a short trial. I made sure they were clean and undamaged and carefully put them back in the box just like they were shipped. They've all been refunded or exchanged with no problems.
Too bad you can't un-ring that bell.

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:22 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

I think some of you need to understand the laws regarding refunds.
No company, not even Walmart, is required to offer a refund.
A refund is a courtesy, not a right.

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:28 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

I'm in the market for a new windshield and this is one of the reasons I haven't purchased one online. Even using the "tape on the stock windshield" to determine the size I want doesn't mean the air flow/buffeting is going to be what I want.

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:36 PM
scoteh
Club Member

I just bought one from Long Ride Shields, and it was stated quite clearly that once mounted it could not be returned. I don't have a problem with that. I inspected it closely to make sure it had no defects, put it on, and rode.
What, if you don't like a motorcycle you bought, you should be able to return it?
Do your research, make your deal, and live with it.
Whiners suck.

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:45 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Well - bottom line obviously is to understand return/exchange policy. I guess if I was running a business making these things I'd consider having a return swap-out policy whereby if the buyer returns a shield that can be sent back out I'd send them a similarly used shield in exchange with buyer paying all shipping costs. But it seems to me that the shipping costs would pretty much bite. I'd only have this good will gesture if I thought it was going to bring me more business however. Running a business is about making money . . .

Quick Reply: Why do windshield vendors think they don't have to refund money on their items?