Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Crash Bar Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ask how I know this, but I know a guy who has a 09 FLHT exactly like the one in my album who low sided at a pretty good clip probably 25mph+.I believe the combo of the engine guard and the bag guard made a small pocket of room that kept my leg and foot from getting road rashed real bad.I slid about 25 feet or so.I had a leather jacket on but not any chaps.The truth is I didn't even tear my Levis.I did have a lot of scratches on the toe of my boot and some rash on my jacket but by and large,I was in very good shape.The real amazing thing was after skiding off the road,my bike went into the ditch right next to the road and stood upright.A cager stopped and asked if I was ok and if he could help.I was still doing inventory on all the parts(bikes and mine) but felt ok and the bike looked pretty much not worse for the wear so he helped me back it out the ditch and I rode it home ( 50+ miles).The bag guard on the side that dropped to the road had moved back about a 1" or so but structurally was still intact.The bag guards are not stock on a EGS but I bought a set of new takeoffs from a 09 Ultra Classic.They are also availible from HD.I too like the clean look of the bike without the guards but after talking to many bagger riders who told me the bag guards will prevent alot of damage from when you drop your bike.Mostly they were talking about fallover kind of drops cause these suckers are heavy. I put a set on and man am I glad I did.I most likely will always have a set from now on.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be truthful about the rest of the damage on that ride.The engine guard bent back and left a small dent in the gas tank,the front fender skirt was dented,scratches all over and yes the lid on the bag on that side was scratched up but ask me if I cared.I went to work the next day.Some people don't after a Evel Knevel act like that.Bag guards may not look cool but they work.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldArmy
Slow speed drops is what I was looking at. I'm trying to take my low speed game up a notch and will be working it hard this year (to include RLAP in May). So far what I'm hearing is that for slow speed and standing drops they will save the bags.
You heard correctly, They save the lowers (if You have Them) and the bags. I've learned this on three different occasions, which I don't want to talk about anymore. lol

Old 03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine did a high side and 3 barrel rolls on pavement after a little ol lady took me out at about 35 mph..my guards did not survive, front or back ,but the only piece of body work that had to be replaced was the fairing and windshield. everything else survived (with rash and minor dings) no cracks
i believe it would have been much worse without the guards

Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Nothing works if you go down any speed more then 15-20 miles but they do work in the parking lot or slippery surface in your garage right after washing the bike where most likely you will laid it down if you already haven't done yet.But on mine worked when slipped and scraped my left side against freeway center divider at about 75 MPH engine and bag guards and hwy pegs were shaved all the way poked hole in tubing no paint damage or injury just heart beat got out of control.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all, I think I'm going hunting for some bag guards. Appreciate the input.