Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is with the middle finger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:01 AM
SBJJC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is with the middle finger?

Why is it every pic I see of tuff guy biker and his scooter, they all seems to feel the need to give the bird? Never could figure that one out?

And if you are a tuff guy biker, sorry, didn’t mean to offend you... just wondering...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good question. Can't wait to read the responses on this one.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM
cfdcaptain99
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Western culture, the finger (as in giving someone the finger), also known as the middle finger, the highway salute, the bird (as in flicking or flying the bird) , or to flip someone off, is an obscene hand gesture, often meaning the phrase "f*ck you" or "up yours." It is performed by showing the back of the hand, extending the middle finger of the hand upwards while bending the other fingers down into the palm.

It is identified as the digitus impudicus (impudent finger) in Ancient Roman writings[1] and reference is made to using the finger in ancient Greek comedy to insult another person. The widespread usage of the finger in many cultures is likely due to the geographical influence of the Roman Empire and Greco-Roman civilization.

Another possible origin of this gesture can be found in the first-century Mediterranean world, where extending the digitus impudicus was one of many methods used to divert the ever present threat of the evil eye.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Yeah this will be a good one I think. i don't understand it either. It's a widely used phenomenon.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lmao!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually an indication of number of remaining living brain cells.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Y ask Y

Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 AM
SBJJC
Banned

Originally Posted by cfdcaptain99
In Western culture, the finger (as in giving someone the finger), also known as the middle finger, the highway salute, the bird (as in flicking or flying the bird) , or to flip someone off, is an obscene hand gesture, often meaning the phrase "f*ck you" or "up yours." It is performed by showing the back of the hand, extending the middle finger of the hand upwards while bending the other fingers down into the palm.

It is identified as the digitus impudicus (impudent finger) in Ancient Roman writings[1] and reference is made to using the finger in ancient Greek comedy to insult another person. The widespread usage of the finger in many cultures is likely due to the geographical influence of the Roman Empire and Greco-Roman civilization.

Another possible origin of this gesture can be found in the first-century Mediterranean world, where extending the digitus impudicus was one of many methods used to divert the ever present threat of the evil eye.
Yeah, i got that, but why tuff guy bikers????

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM
WillyHD
Road Master

I'll bite.

I do it in most photos and no I'm not a "badass biker". It is my general opinion of the rest of the world. Kind of a "f*ck you, I don't need anymore friends." thing.

C

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM
SBJJC
Banned

Originally Posted by gibby122
Y ask Y
Just Cause i wanted to know why....

Quick Reply: What is with the middle finger?