Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with H-Q ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Dealing with H-Q ?

Has anybody else here had any "issues" trying to get answers from H-Q? I've joined their forum and been in contact with ProTwin but they just seem to dance around my questions. I simply asked them if the stock pushrods can be retained in my parts acquired 103" project using Cometic .030 head gaskets and stock heads. I've been told to forego my stock pushrods and use their adjustables, to sell my pistons and buy theirs, etc etc. Andrews and Wood have been very straightforward and not pushing their other items. I really want to like the HQ525 but the company ain't helping. It was alot easier when I had my 255's ..

Old 03-11-2010, 03:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Sounds like HQ to me! Might a pushrod calculator help ya?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

It would if they could supply the 525 base circle .....

Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds to me that they would like you to put their package together as a unit. Don't know how true this is but I have heard that HQ cams work very well in their packages but can be strange when used with non HQ head work.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When contemplating my motorbuild i had problems with communicating with them as well. Even though everyone who used their stuff had good things to say about it, the communication issue was enough to steer me in a different direction.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There customer service sucks. It takes a week to get an answer out of them and then it's some halfway answer that makes you have to send another Email and wait another week for an answer.
That's way I have been researching other places to use.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
07fatboycustom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dealt with them. Went to my dealer on my o7 harley. Had them put in HQ's 103 build. My dealer uses them allot. My engine ran great. End results was 106 hp 115 tq. Had a manual compression release instulled by dealer. Dont know about other builds as I have only done one. Now I have 2010 king. No desire to do a build this time. If one day I get the bug to get a bit more power will just do cams. Yes I was pleased with their build. Used all their parts. Great engine afterwards.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Since Kevin from HQ has established Pro Twin Performance as HQ's exclusive U.S. retail source, the customer service is now up to the high level of their parts.

As for the OP, Troop, is your name Jeff? I ask because Kevin is a good friend of mine and he mentioned the exchange of emails he's had with someone named Jeff who was interested in buying HQ 525 cams for a 103 using SE flat top cast pistons and a .040 head gasket intially. Jeff didn't know until Kevin explained that the piston was at negative deck height and that gasket would yield about .050 quench which would cause serious preignition.

Kevin also explained to "Jeff" why an HQ forged piston would be superior to the SE cast piston and why adjustables would be superior to the stock push rods when using a thinner than stock head gasket.

If Troop is "Jeff," his last email (of a series of emails asking questions which Kevin answered) to Kevin on March 9th closed with this: " Again, thank you for all of your help..Jeff"

So Troop, or Jeff, your original post is garbage. Kevin suggested you use different parts and told you why. You apparently don't care to accept his answers and choose to throw him under the bus on a public forum with an essentially misleading account of your experience with him.

If you aren't Jeff, you have my sincere apology. If you are Jeff, Kevin will probably be happy you aren't a customer; I know I would be.

Carl

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced

i've had recent discussions with them too.

i really think their product is good,BUT.....their online forum and "e-mail only" communication was waaaaaaaaaaay too frustrating.i made some noise and kevin did call me and was very helpful.
i don't want this misentrepreted as "VENDOR BASHING". IT'S NOT.my ONLY anxiety is with their preferred manner of communication and i voiced this to kevin.i never actually got onto the forum because my username wasn't my actual name,etc...,but in the end i felt that i was treated well and would urge others to use their product.
leftcoast carl.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM
fxlowboy
Tourer

I deal with them for my parts never had a problem,and got an awnser in less then 24 hours,Kevin respond to my email the same day and been a great help

Quick Reply: Dealing with H-Q ?